G/day All!

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Terry

G/day All!

Post by Terry » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:09 pm

G/day Everybody

Sorry I haven't been doing homework lately - too lazy I guess.
Also sort of lost interest in writing at the moment.
Off to Peaceful Bay shortly, maybe that will inspire me to get enthusiastic again.
Anyway all the best for the coming year.

Cheers

Terry

Neville Briggs

Re: G/day All!

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:37 pm

G'day Terry, Happy New Year and all the best for 2019. We seem to be the last of the tribe here but good to hear from you.

What I suggest is to try a few Haiku to get the muse going. Just sit or stand somewhere at the Peaceful Bay and write down in your pocket notebook some small sensation that you have with something that catches your attention and put down three lines Haiku style.
You can keep these as is or maybe later build a poem from linking the Haiku together into rhyming stanzas if you wish.

Another suggestion is just finding a spot and look around and write in your notebook a list of all the things that catch your eye at that moment.
Don't try to make any verse, just make a list and include specific details ( not general details ) of sounds colours shapes sizes movements names.

Do this for a few days at several locations and you will find when you later think about these small lists and brief sensations that you will have quite a collection of bits and pieces to make poems.

In any case I hope you have a good time at the seaside.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:41 pm

Have a great time Terry - we all need to replenish the batteries on occasions and Neville's advice is good - hope you find some peace and your muse in Peaceful Bay - it sounds idyllic
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Terry

Post by Terry » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 am

Hi Neville & Maureen

My problem is not so much a lack of ideas but a lack of motivation.

My interest has waned for sometime, hopefully just a phase.

Thinking back a bit, when we had a lively group here a couple of years ago, that used to help to keep us all going to some extent, but in my opinion Maureen's homework is all we have left now as writers - as Neville mentioned we few seem to be the last of the tribe.

The ABPA itself, seems to me to now have little interest in writers, not that it has ever shown a lot of interest, being more in tune with the performing side of things, which is fair enough I guess.

Just casting a line out at Peaceful Bay and catching a feed of fish is something to look forward to - don't need much motivation for that.

Cheers

Terry

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:20 am

Have a lovely relaxing time Terry!

"Out on the Western Shore" is still one of my favourites of your poems! You won the Charlee Marshall award with that way back in about 2011 or 2012 I think. I got an encouragement novice award at the time. It was one of the first written competitions I entered. I remember reading your poem and thinking, "Wow - that's what I've got to aspire to!"

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Terry

Post by Terry » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Hi Shelley

Thanks for the kind words; the first few lines of that poem were written while sitting in the late afternoon shade of a conical Quartz hill looking at the firs scene described in the poem - It was wild and rugged but beautiful country. (its actually the Western Shaw - I used Shore so as not to have half Rhymes)

It's pleasing to know that a poem I wrote may have somehow helped to inspire you press ahead with you own writing, and just look at what you have achieved now, and you seem to be going from strength to strength. Apart from several wins and numerous placings you have just come Second, and Third, in this years Blackened Billy, congratulations.

Cheers

Terry

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Thank you Terry - I was amazed at the BB result, my best ever. Second to David, so I can't complain about that!

It was writers like him and you and Brenda whose work showed me how to hone my natural love of writing and correct my structural errors. And I keep on learning!

I guess we all do, sharing with each other, don't we?

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")