ABPA Homepage

ABPA - Australian Bush Poets Association

Forum for Modern & Traditional Australian Rhyming Bush Poetry
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:49 pm 

Among other recent additions to the Harding Collection (which include some significant audio recordings too), are the following Books ...
(I will include approx prices because like The Antiques Roadshow, one appreciates getting a feel for what things are worth)

Bush Echoes. W. A. Horn 1915 .. second copy, but this exhibition copy has a beautiful, blue, velvet cover with a woodcut inset showing an aboriginal hunting. $40 Lovely ballad writing.

Call of the Bush. 1940 Jim Grahame (yet another copy of a very limited run, but I cannot get enough of Jim Grahame, even if each copy appears to have the same contents!?). $35.

The Man from Kangaroo. Bill Freame. 1927 $50. Rare. Good writing.

Australian Idylls and Bush Rhymes. Henty. Very Scarce. 1896 $150. At that price, shut your eyes and press the BUY button. No regrets though. :)

Australians Yet. Grant Hervey. $13 second copy. You either love Grant or you hate him. In his time, many hated him. But as a poet he has to be admired and included here.

The Chronicles of the Bread and Cheese Club. Harry Malloch (worthy scribe). 1943. $150 Been eyeing off this scarce book for ages, and finally took the plunge. It is an integral part of the history of Australian Bush Ballad poetry.

Having trouble updating the website catalogue but will get there soon. cheers to all. Gary.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:06 pm 

I find it satisfying to search for and then discover bush poets of lesser fame but of great talent. Poets whose work was very good, perhaps exhibiting occasional flashes of brilliance.

Bush poetry in its Golden Age (up to the late 1950's) included not only the well-known "stars" but all the lesser-others who made up the entire substantial galaxy of great bush ballad poetry.

Such a poet is Cecil Lowther (aka Bannerman), a local bloke mentioned previously so I enjoy giving him a plug. My interest is really in his writing and not his biography (other than at a very superficial level). His life is his business and going there in depth is a bit academic and intrusive, but his wonderful writing however is open for everybody's enjoyment. Here is a very small sample from this prolific writer. I hope it is appreciated.

Our Women and The War (an extract from)

"Here's to the mothers of boys who have gone
To fight for their country and king:
Those mothers who bravely have given a son,
Tho' grief to their hearts it did bring.
Here's to the women who put self aside
And parted with husbands so dear;
Well may the Empire regard them with pride,
And honour their names with a cheer.

That which they've given is worth more than gold -
The sunshine and pride of their lives.
While honouring soldiers and sailors so bold
Remember the mothers and wives."

Maryborough Qld 17.1.1915

The attached photo was supplied to me by George Seymour, Deputy Mayor here at Fraser Coast.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:24 am 

Hi Gary

Thanks for bringing our local classic bush poet to wider notice! I notice there is also now a Facebook page about him and his poetry.,

As we've discussed before, I was well acquainted with Cecil Lowther's son (also named Cecil) - who taught at my primary school. I also kept in touch with him intermittently after his retirement.

The photo of Cecil Snr brings back a flood of memories, as the likeness between father and son is remarkable!

Cheers
Shelley

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:02 pm 

Thanks Shelley.. I had not noticed Bannerman's facebook page. Much appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/bannerman.poetry/

It looks like George Seymour has been busy there, I would suspect. The more Comments and Likes given by ABPA members on this page, the more incentive there is for George to produce the book!!

George's "Bannerman" book has been delayed and looks like coming out later this year. The first booklet (which I have and is available from the Historical Society in Kent Street for $10) is short and only deals with the first world war.

Given that he was a prolific writer, when a major selection of his better work is gathered in one book, it will be easier to get a feel for how good he really is.. or was.
For now he is at least interesting I think?