YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Glenny Palmer

Re: YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE

Post by Glenny Palmer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:45 pm

Thanks for your feedback David. Re The Copper Croc I didn't receive one negative from my processing all certificates electronically. So it seems that it all went very smoothly. As an organiser I found it extremely beneficial in all aspects. :D
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:30 am

Hi Glenny and David

I completely agree with the concept of electronic mailing of certificates where possible, for all the reasons you have stated. Glenny, I had absolutely no problem with the one you sent to me for the Copper Croc.

Those are interesting facts about the open poetry comps, David - and begs the question we've pondered many times before ... why is it that Aussie bush poetry is seen as the "poor cousin" to other forms of verse? Does it come back to that perception that the "pub and the campfire" are the only places suitable for bush poetry? Of course, there's nothing wrong with the pub and the campfire, but is that why some educators and academics (and sponsors) overlook it - in much the same way as they might overlook folk music and art song in favour of more highbrow genres?

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi Glenny and All

Another interesting postscript to this discussion - today I received two certificates in the "snail mail". They were in the same A4-sized envelope, carefully and meticulously prepared, printed on expensive pearlescent card - and arrived like scrunched up tissues, courtesy of Aussie Post.

I am sure the damage happened long before they reached my mailbox, which is a wide-slotted model that easily takes A4 envelopes without folding.

Definitely more supporting evidence for electronic certificates, wouldn't you say?

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:22 am

I agree: the electronic option seems the way to go. Easier, quicker, more money to go in the prize pool. Great idea.
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:28 pm

I agree - mine from the IPF only had to come a kilometre or so - but crumpled and crushed as you say.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Bellobazza

Post by Bellobazza » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Hello all.
I stumbled onto this thread while here on another errand. I agree that electronic certificates make a lot of sense (with the proviso that some of my generation are still reluctant to get one of those new-fangled e-mail accounts) for competition organisers, but I also thought it worth mentioning the advantages of electronic lodgement of entries to a written competition for both entrant and organisers.

Bearing in mind that some comps require up to four A4 copies of each entry, the end result can be quite bulky. I have sometimes wondered in what condition my entries arrive at their destination? The cost of paper, printer ink, postage etc in such cases on top of entry fees, while not prohibitive for most, might well be a determining factor for those on limited means. On the other hand, I have myself participated in competitions based on electronic lodgement of entries and found this method to be quite convenient and relatively easy.

One telling feature of electronic lodgement for the organisers is that 'closing date' for lodgement is definitive by its nature. With the increasing uncertainty surrounding postal delivery, the question of "must be received by" and "must be post-marked no later than" can become an issue of contention, as I have recently witnessed. Electronic lodgement removes much of this uncertainty. Adding the option of paying entry fees by electronic means might also lessen the workload of the organisers somewhat.

Food for thought.
Cheers, Will Moody
"Each poet that I know (he said)
has something funny in his head..." CJD

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi All

I agree with Will that electronic entry submission and lodgement of entry fees is by far the most efficient and reliable way to enter written competitions.

One of the major concerns with posted entries is the unreliability of delivery on time, as Will has stated. It can take over a week for entries to arrive even over relatively short distances. For organisers who stipulate “must be postmarked by” it poses the challenge of having to allow extra time to ensure all entries posted by the due date have arrived prior to judging.

The other good thing about electronic submission is that some competitions have an auto-reply set up acknowledging receipt of entries, so entrants are left in no doubt that their work has been received.

Also if the judges are situated remotely, entries already in electronic format can be easily forwarded, and if applicable, printing costs simply included in the judging fee.

However, I know that some of our elder poets may not be set up electronically, so perhaps hard copy postal entry should be retained as an option.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Good points, Will and Shelley, although there are potential problems with electronic submission. One is the judge’s perspective. I like having hard copies to work with as it’s easy to make notes, highlight good and bad points, and keep track of where you’re up to. And you don’t have to be sitting at a computer. Others may well feel the same. Which means that somewhere along the line the entries have to be printed out. I don’t want to print 100+ entries, which means the organisers have to do it and that might not be too popular on top of all the other jobs that need to be done in a voluntary capacity. I suspect they’d prefer to receive hard copies, particularly if there are multiple judges, and only have to worry about posting them on, even though there is a cost involved. I’ve only judged with full electronic submission once, but that was in a competition run by a library, so a member of the library staff was designated to handle the printing. The short story judge also wanted hard copies for that section, so there was a fair bit of administrative work involved.

Online payment is very convenient and many non-bush competitions (particularly the major ones) have both electronic payment and submission. But, from an entrant’s point of view (leaving aside the necessity to have an internet connection) it can sometimes take longer to organise payment, and get an entry form downloaded, filled out, scanned, and submitted (along with your entries) than doing it the old way, mainly because of a long list of fiddly requirements about exactly how they want it all done. Sometimes paper, a cheque and snail mail (however unreliable) look very appealing!

So, despite the decline of cheque accounts, I suspect that we’ll need to offer both old and new methods of payment for a while yet and, as far as electronic submission of entries is concerned, it’d be a good idea to consult with the relevant judges to see what they’d prefer.

Cheers
David

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Following on from my previous post, it's worth noting that Jan Morris is offering both the old and the new for both entries and payment in this year's Blackened Billy. And she's made the submission of entries easy by simply asking for PDF format along with a separate attachment listing the details required on the entry form.

Cheers
David

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Yes, David - I noticed that with the Blackened Billy - the first time this year, I believe.

And you're right, with some online submissions, by the time you download and print and fill out entry forms and re-scan and upload, it can be a pain. I guess we hope that the organisers will make it simple, but it's not always the case.

Also, I take your point about judges having to print out entries. I suppose I made that comment while wearing my "former government employee" hat - where printing out hundreds of documents was something we did often. So I reasoned that as long as judges were compensated for it, printing might be an option. But I realise that not everyone is set up for that kind of office work.

I agree - offering both options is possibly the best solution to suit everyone.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines