EISTEDDFOD OPPORTUNITIES

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Brenda Joy

EISTEDDFOD OPPORTUNITIES

Post by Brenda Joy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:50 pm

THE TOWNSVILLE EISTEDDFOD has just concluded. I was fortunate enough to be the adjudicator for the Bush Poetry Sections and Hal was the very helpful 'penciller'.
Those familiar with Eisteddfods will be aware of the following –
Organisers’ Notes
“An eisteddfod (plural eisteddfodau or eisteddfods) is a festival of performing and visual arts and literature. It is a Welsh tradition that dates back to at least the 12th century.
The Townsville Eisteddfod is open to competitors up to the age of 18 years. It is held annually in September. In a typical year, about 2000 entries are received in about 300 competitive events (called "Sections") held over 19 days. Altogether, these result in about 18,000 individual performances.”
Three sections for Bush Poetry were included for the first time in 2015 – ages 10 and under, ages 11-13 and ages 14-18. The sponsor for prizes and certificates was the Townsville Bush Poetry Mates and the TBPM President, Barry Graham, made the impressive trophies. There were 6 entrants in the first section, 8 in the second and (due primarily to overseas school excursions for the holiday period) only one in the 14-18 category. However, the Bush Poetry sections took place just prior to the Literary Awards Presentation Ceremony and so, by default, there was a very large audience to hear the delightful presentations from the young poets. This was also an ideal chance to tell people a little about bush poetry. (Never slow to miss a promotional opportunity.)
The committee of the Townsville Eisteddfod were happy with the Bush Poetry component and are going to promote these sections with the hope of increasing participation in 2018.
Eisteddfods offer great opportunities for our talented youth and if you are not already involved in your area, it could be worth pursuing this potential outlet for both performers, adjudicators and volunteers from the Bush Poetry genre.
It would be good to hear if anyone else is doing this type of thing. This was my first 'adjudication' post. We had a great time and were so impressed with the children.
Sing HU to open your heart.

Shelley Hansen

Re: EISTEDDFOD OPPORTUNITIES

Post by Shelley Hansen » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:18 am

Hi Brenda

Good on you for taking part in this endeavour. It is great to see the Townsville literary eisteddfod including bush verse as a recognised separate poetry genre.

The Maryborough literary eisteddfod also includes poetry - but doesn't differentiate between forms. So there are age-based sections for both recited and written poetry, where rhyming verse is judged alongside free verse. There is a section for "recited Australian poetry" but here again, all genres are judged side by side.

I involve myself with the local eisteddfod by donating and presenting a prize for written poetry in the 15-17 years age group. This year the adjudicator determined that none of the entries in that section merited a prize - a strange decision in a junior competition, I thought - as you'd hope young people would be encouraged to continue writing, rather than the reverse.

My donated prize was therefore transferred to the recital section of the same age group. I attended and listened with interest to this same young adjudicator voice her strong opinions on the "boring 'de-dum-de-dum' of rhyming and bush verse", and then smiled inwardly when the chairperson for the evening introduced me as prize-presenter - with all my bush verse credentials! I wonder what she thought? Unfortunately there was no chance to ask her.

This is certainly a field to which we could effectively contribute if given the opportunity as you were, Brenda.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Brenda Joy

Post by Brenda Joy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:52 pm

Just an interesting aside Shelley. I sat in on the 'Poetry in Pairs' section which preceded the Bush Poetry and two boys (most of the pairs were girls) performed 'Girl Germs' by David Campbell. Despite the boys being a bit soft in their presentation, the rhyme and metre stood out due to the flow.
Sing HU to open your heart.

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Thanks, Brenda, it's good to know that "Girl Germs" is still doing the rounds. It's always been a popular choice for boys...can't figure out why! :roll: Here it is:

Girl Germs

© David Campbell, 2004

I had to kiss a girl today.
Oh yuk!
My cousin Shirley,
curly-girly,
came to visit...just my luck!

"Now kiss your cousin," says my Mum.
Oh no!
Girls are germy,
squirmy-wormy.
"Sorry, Mum, I have to go!"