What Makes Good Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Vic Jefferies

Re: What Makes Good Poetry

Post by Vic Jefferies » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:53 pm

Terry I agree that the term Bush Poetry or Bush Poet does restrict our appeal and makes it awkward to fully describe what we do (or in my case try to do) and there is probably a good case for trying to achieve a better description of poetry with rhyme and metre. However, I do not for a moment suggest that we change the name of this organisation.
In relation to some people being worried about bush poetry overshadowing free verse I had a discussion with a lady who writes free verse yesterday and she said, without prompting, that she was in awe of people who wrote with rhyme and metre as she thought it must be "terribly difficult" to do and far harder than simply committing one's thoughts to paper.

I think her statement perfectly describes the difference.

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:10 pm

Vic
I wasn't for a moment suggesting a change of name, just pointing out that it has its drawbacks.

Cheers

Terry

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:29 am

Well Vic if your friend thinks that any sort of poetic form is "simply committing your thoughts to paper " then she would not understand the definition given by Lehmann and Gray.
Constructing a so-called free verse that matches Lehmann and Gray's definition would be "terribly difficult " to do I suspect.
In fact it is " terribly difficult " to match that definition with rhyming poetry, much easier just to commit your thoughts to paper with a bit of baa baa black sheep metre and rhyme, and the job's done ??
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:57 pm

That woman’s comment is interesting, Vic. It possibly depends on your starting point. If you’re coming from free verse, then the discipline of metre and rhyme may well prove a challenge. But, if you’re coming from a rhyming verse background, the comparative lack of structure in free verse could be equally daunting. I agree with Neville that any poetry is more than just putting your thoughts down on paper. This is where the use of language is so important…trying to say something in an interesting way that grips and holds a reader’s interest.

The reviews of the Lehmann-Gray anthology were mixed. Some offered praise, but others didn’t. For example, in the latter camp Ali Alizadeh in Overland described it as “…a collection of some of the more timid and uninteresting poetry produced in this country since British invasion.” Furthermore “…the editors reveal themselves as ultra-conservative ideologues as well as inept arbiters of literary worth and poetic quality.”

But conflict in the literary world is par for the course!

Cheers
David

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Ali Alizadeh's comment doesn't seem to tell us much about poetry, more about his virtuous devotion to the sanctified doctrines of left wing politics.
Neville

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Each to his own I suppose David, but returning to the original post, I think Lehmann and Gray's idea of what constitutes good poetry is worth our consideration.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:06 pm

Yes indeed. It is worth our keeping it in mind at all times.
Neville

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:24 am

Sadly for many, the term, "Bush Poet" conjures up images of old Acubras, swags and battered billies.
We know it's much more than that.

As for me, I'm a "Poet", writing Australian Rhyming Verse ... and because I'm Australian, I can write on any subject I bloody-well please ... :D

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:22 pm

Neville Briggs wrote:As for me, I'm a "Poet", writing Australian Rhyming Verse ... and because I'm Australian, I can write on any subject I bloody-well please ...
Yep.

Gremlins in the system Manfred - I know this is your quote but I'm having trouble convincing the website !

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Thanks Heather ... :D