lest we forget

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
william williams

lest we forget

Post by william williams » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:22 am

please reply about this good bad or ugly

The Eyes and Heart of A Child ©
written by Bill Williams

A while back I called to see a mate of mine and as I neared the back corner of the house I heard my mates young daughter speaking to her grandmother and it went like this.

“Gran, my daddy’s very brave, he saved that boy from drowning and stopped that lady from getting gored by those peoples bull, and yet I just saw him sitting on a log crying.
Why Gran do brave people cry?”

Gran stopped what she was doing and thought this question requires some thought, when she remembered that today was Armistice Day and that was why her son was upset.
So sitting down on the back step of the old farmhouse she tried to explain her son’s actions to her grand daughter.

“Young lady” she said “your daddy and some of the men from our town went off to war and some of them like your daddy returned while others never returned.”
“But what is war Gran?” she asked, in her innocent way.

“That is when people want others to do what they say no mater how wrong that it may be and people like your father and others stand against them.”
“Like when Mommy makes me eat Brussels sprouts?” “No my child a lot different than that.

In war things are not as one would choose and so men like your father have to fight so that we all, shall have the right to choose.” “But why is Daddy so sad?”

“Well in the war some of your fathers friends were killed or injured and your daddy, along with a lot of other men were not able to save them and today is that special day of the year that he remembers them. Because of this he is very sad.”

“Oh!” Said the little one and as she went in through the back door I heard her say to her mother. “Mommy can we make some thing special for Daddy for tea tonight to make him happy?” With that I quietly crept away not wishing to disturb that moment but thinking to myself

In the eyes of our very young war may not be so bad but to our generation war was hell.

Neville Briggs

Re: lest we forget

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:37 am

I see young kids down the library sitting at computers and using animated games to shoot, stab and blow up people, what do we make of that Bill ?
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

william williams

Post by william williams » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:13 am

well Neville the kids learn what they learn from adult who make the movies and tv shows do they not

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:56 am

I guess so.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.