TALKING ABOUT TUCKER

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
william williams

TALKING ABOUT TUCKER

Post by william williams » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:10 am

TALKING OF TUCKER

I’ll tell a good recipe for tucker out back when all you got is a rifle to go an get your own tucker with.
Firstly you carefully shoot a Galah through the head cause if you don’t he’ll be bloody tough, mind you; you gotta cook him for a while anyway.
Then you shoot a snake through the head to smash it up you gotta do that so he don’t bite yah see.
Well I prefer, to get a black snake cause they got more meat on them. Well you skin the Galah an the snake cut them up and roll them in the flour and fry them for a while till they just start to go brown. Then you puts them in yah camp oven along with some wild yams an bush tomatoes and stuff, like some wattle bark just to give it a bit of colour.
Now this is the secret of the whole thing, you go down to the river an get a hard rock about the size of a small kid fist.
It gotta be nice and smooth an clean, and I mean clean, because you don’t want to get sick do yah. Any way you might as well fill the old billy up with water while you’re there so you make a billy of tea while you wait for the stew to cook.
Anyhow you carefully place the stone in the stew cause you don’t want it to break up and ruin the stew an besides the hard stone it’s there to get rid of that rank earthy flavour of the Galah and snake in the stew.
Then you put it on the fire to cook an while it’s cooking you can sit an drink your tea cause it take about an hour to cook so keep checking to see when you fork will slide into the Galah when it does you know its cooked.
Carefully lift the stone from the pot onto a plate. Leave it and while it’s cooling don’t be lousy, let yah dog have some of the stew, cause I tell yah, he’ll enjoy it.
And when it cools, you lucky fella, you can go an suck the rock

Neville Briggs

Re: TALKING ABOUT TUCKER

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:38 pm

That's one's as ancient as some of our older bush poets Bill ;)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:30 am

Ah, but it is in the telling Neville...it is in the telling.

alongtimegone

Post by alongtimegone » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:35 pm

:lol: :lol: Well told Bill.

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:38 am

...don't forget to bury the dog Bill, if the tucker don't kill him the cooked wattle bark will!.... ;)
Ross

william williams

Post by william williams » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:34 pm

Nah Ross that dog of mine is used to it now :!: :?: so what'le Bark next Waltzing Matilda