Mark Twain Country ...

Post your images from any Bush Poetry events here.

Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb. If your greatest image dimension is 600px or under, there will be no problems keeping within the file sizes.
Keeping the LARGEST dimensions at 600px means, if the length is 600px then the width could be the same but preferably less. Conversly, if the width is 600px then the length could be the same but preferably less.
Forum rules
Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb and the dimensions UNDER 600 X 600px ...
manfredvijars

Mark Twain Country ...

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Florida and Hannibal Missouri (the birthplace and childhood town of Sam Clemens) was a highlight of my trip. Neil posted my article and some pics in the current magazine. I thought you may be interested in the 'colour' versions ...

Enjoy .... :)

Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain) was the sixth of seven children born to John and Jane Clemens on the 30th November, 1835 in the village of Florida, Munroe County, Missouri. Florida sits about two and a half hours North of Saint Louis and half an hour's drive (35 miles) from Hannibal where he grew up on the banks of the Mississippi River.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

william williams

Re: Mark Twain Country ...

Post by william williams » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Thank you Manfred I gather you had a great time

BILL WILLIAMS

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks Bill, yes I did. They love this bloke so much that there are in fact NINE Mark Twain National Forests in Missouri. could get confusing if you've arranged a camping trip with some out of state mates ....

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:16 am

These are fabulous, Manfred. Mark Twain is absolutely one of my all-time favourite writers. Thank you very much for posting them.

(Would it be too much trouble if I asked you to get some photos of Robert Service's cabin in Dawson City the next time you're in North America?)
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:28 am

I've read a fair bit about the life of Mark Twain, but only a cluster of images remain.

He watched his father's post mortem examination unobserved through a key-hole.

His childhood ambition was to become a riverboat captain, and he may well have achieved that, instead of becoming a writer, if not for the intervention of the American Civil War.

The war quickly put an end to the riverboat trade.

Clemens' own war record is something of a mystery. It seems he spent about a week in active service before turning up in a silver-mining town on the west coast. After a failed suicide attempt, he began writing for the local paper.

Clemens' talked his younger brother into joining the river boats, too. Sadly, he was burnt to death in a fire on a paddle steamer, something that haunted Clemens for the rest of his life.

If you haven't done so already, read the first hundred pages of "Life on the Mississippi". He talks about his life as an apprentice paddle steamer captain. Pure gold...

Clemens had three daughters, and no sons. One daughter died of meningitis aged about 18. Another suffered from epilepsy, and drowned while having a fit in the bath aged about 30. The third married, but became estranged from him. She moved to Europe, and broke off all communications with him.

So many great writers have such sad personal lives...

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:30 am

Mark Twain is still one of the best selling authors in the USA.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:07 am

There is an interesting piece in his autobiography recalling his one meeting with R. L. Stevenson. They were discussing fame, and the broad, deep seated fame - fame that had seeped deeply into international culture - that they both enjoyed.