Ariah Park Poets Breakfast

Post your images from any Bush Poetry events here.

Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb. If your greatest image dimension is 600px or under, there will be no problems keeping within the file sizes.
Keeping the LARGEST dimensions at 600px means, if the length is 600px then the width could be the same but preferably less. Conversly, if the width is 600px then the length could be the same but preferably less.
Forum rules
Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb and the dimensions UNDER 600 X 600px ...
jimlamb

Ariah Park Poets Breakfast

Post by jimlamb » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:32 am

Ariah Park Poets Breakfast.jpg
Peely in full flight at Ariah Park Poets Breakfast as part of their Mary Gilmore Cultural Festival 20th October. About 50 in the audience of mainly grey nomads and a few locals.
Cheers,
Jim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neville Briggs

Re: Ariah Park Poets Breakfast

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Peely hasn't left the building. :lol: :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:20 pm

Not too many notches left in that belt John, you need some good cooking to fatten you up a bit mate.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Peely

Post by Peely » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:08 pm

G'day Jim

Thanks for putting the photo up. This photo would have been at the beginning of what was a pretty big day for me. I was the feature poet and compere for the poet's breakfast and I had the job of compering the main concert for the day. The events ran from 8:00am to 6:30pm with a few small breaks during the day. Even though it was a pretty big day for me, I still had plenty of fun.

Some of the things I remember during the main concert included singing a few bars of "Only Sixteen" (for those not familiar, written and performed by Sam Cooke) after a sixteen year old female singer from Young named Sami Cooke performed on the main stage. Later on in the show, in between acts, I mentioned that I was going to perform a short poem. A heckler in the audience called out, "Sing us a song". I did the poem, but the next time I was up on stage between acts, I sung "When the Rain Tumbles Down in July" (a shortened version, I skipped the middle verse). The heckler probably wasn't expecting that, but it went over well. Plenty of positive comments afterwards on my poetry, my MCing and my singing (maybe I can sing in my own voice after all).

One of the funny things I ended up finding out on the Sunday while I was out in the street doing some busking was that people don't recognise me without my hat - it sounds like the black Snowy River Acubra is becoming a bit of a trademark of mine.

G'day Neville

The Elvis poem got three goes during the festival - I don't think I could go anywhere and not do it these days.

G'day Bob

It must be down to the fact that I am mostly surviving on my own cooking these days. Maybe I need to find someone to share the cooking duties - I am working on that though.

Regards

John Peel
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:26 pm

Same from my end with the hat John, People look at you and say Don't I know you ?

At least I've got a mop of hair under there as most people think when you take it off there is none ?

Cheers mate I'll back anyone who is game to have a go at busking it is a hard gig i can tell you.

Cheerrs Good onya

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Peely

Post by Peely » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:54 pm

G'day Bob

I still have hair under the hat, even if it is thinning out. I normally take the hat off to perform the Elvis poem - the Akubra hat doesn't really fit with it (though I have probably done the poem on a couple of occasions with the hat on).

I would agree with you that the busking is hard work. I agreed to help out young Sami from Young just to give her a bit of a break from singing. She would do three or four songs then I would do a couple of poems. Ironically enough, I think the only time I ended up getting money thrown into the guitar case was when I was singing. I did an original song and an Elvis song (before the Elvis poem). Maybe I'm a better singer than what I think :).

Regards

John Peel

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:32 am

There you go John,

Didn't I tell you, all those years ago, that the 'Elvis' poem was a winner!
Great to hear you doing so well.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Peely

Post by Peely » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 am

Thank you Zondrae

The Elvis poem was also the first poem that I ever performed in a competition back in 2005. It went over well then (even before I had refined the words and my performance skills). There was a short period where I stopped performing the poem - I felt I needed to work on new ideas and on performing some of my other poems. This probably allowed poems like "The Fence Off" to be born. I certainly didn't want to become a one-poem wonder. I think I also needed to find a way of keeping the performance of the Elvis poem interesting for me too - which is one of the reasons why I change the Elvis song I use in the intro around from time to time (probably also makes it more interesting for my audiences). By changing the song in the intro, to some extent I can tailor the poem to the occasion (I did "The Wonder of You" in the intro at my cousin's wedding last weekend as an example). It is back to being one of my favourite poems to perform again these days.

I have written a sequel from Elvis's perspective on meeting me at the "Parkes Elvis Festival". I have never performed it though (I might have to work on changing that - probably needs an Elvis costume though :lol: ). Elvis has to do a voice impersonation of me in the poem (that's a funny thought, me impersonating Elvis impersonating me :lol: ).

I hope you are also travelling well

Regards

John Peel

thestoryteller

Post by thestoryteller » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Good to have Peely drop in at the Rosewood Roundup Country Music Festival the following weekend and do a couple of poems with us at the poet's brekky.
Some days your the pidgeon and other days the statue.

Peely

Post by Peely » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks Merv,

It was a pleasure. I wouldn't have minded staying around a little longer at Rosewood. I had to help my old man with some of his bulls on the afternoon after I performed at the breakfast, and I had a cousin's wedding on over the rest of the weekend (which I also performed at). I still managed to fit in a trip to Wombat at the end of the weekend on Sunday night for the bimonthly poetry at the Wombat pub. All good fun.

Regards

John Peel