Bourke - Poet's Trek

Post your images from any Bush Poetry events here.

Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb. If your greatest image dimension is 600px or under, there will be no problems keeping within the file sizes.
Keeping the LARGEST dimensions at 600px means, if the length is 600px then the width could be the same but preferably less. Conversly, if the width is 600px then the length could be the same but preferably less.
Forum rules
Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb and the dimensions UNDER 600 X 600px ...
Neville Briggs

Re: Bourke - Poet's Trek

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Ah Marty I try not to confuse physics and philosophy. :lol:

There's another thing up Bourke way, Ross, that when I was up there always made me feel a bit sad about how things have gone.
That is the railway line from Nyngan to Bourke.

Dead straight and flat, 200 kilometres of toil and sweat by the men who built that railway. And I assume, though I don't know, that Henry Lawson travelled on the train along there. It is left now, rusting and falling to pieces.
There's still a railway station at Bourke, last I knew.
I don't know what it is used for now, it was a sort of tourist office when I lived there.

I think that shutting down the rural railways in NSW was a huge tragedy for the country.
I suspect that was part of the reason for the demise of places like Toorale ( I could be wrong )
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

william williams

Post by william williams » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Emu chicks caught when young were tasty in the old camp oven tasted a bit like beef but not quite.
fresh Emu eggs made good rock cakes and sweetened bread good tucker
Emu meat for the dogs fattened them up
but beware of all three and stand up wind when your windy nature takes its coarse

bill Williams

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:49 pm

You’re right there Bill. Shell could of made a quid out of Emu cause they are full of oil and GAS… :(

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Manfred, have you got any pictures of Ford's Bridge or Hungerford.
Neville

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm

r.magnay wrote:...actually Manfred, it is a long time since I ate emu but I remember it being more like beef than duck!
You're right Ross, it's been so long since I've had some but I remember it being a tad oily. I just wanted to be a smarty and keep with the chook theme. Well, it's a bit of a stretch I know but ducks are like floating chooks (and I still can't eat a full one) ... :D

I'll post some more pics in this thread tonight Nev ...

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:53 pm

... a few of Hungerford ... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Great pics Manfred. Love the one of the stormy sky. The contrast with the red earth is fantastic.

Heather :)

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Great pics alright Manfred, looks like a great time was had!
I was actually in Bourke the week before on a motorbike trip, Should have made it a week later :)
Ah well next year.
Ron

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Good pictures Manfred. Hey ! there was more money than that on the ceiling last time I was in the Hungerford Pub, what's going on ?? :lol: :lol:

Is that the Police Station with the dog at the fence ? Must be, the only buildings in town are the Police Station and the pub. :lol: ( and a couple of sheds. )
Neville

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Neville Briggs wrote:Good pictures Manfred. Hey ! there was more money than that on the ceiling last time I was in the Hungerford Pub, what's going on ?? :lol: :lol:

Is that the Police Station with the dog at the fence ? Must be, the only buildings in town are the Police Station and the pub. :lol: ( and a couple of sheds. )
They clear the ceiling at least once a year and all the proceeds go to the Royal Flying Doctor (RFD)

Yes Nev that's the Cop Shop - and VERY friendly dog ... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.