Journey With Dad -

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
mummsie

Re: Journey With Dad -

Post by mummsie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Ahhh the memories Marty. It's amazing how the simple little things bring to mind things from our past. For me it's the smell of nectarines. Like you, I was also taught to appreciate the sounds and smells of the bush and to never take them for granted. I always feel so at home there.
What a beautiful part of the country Colac Colac is. When we travelled down for the MFSR festival, we stopped many times between Tumbarumba and Corryong to take in the view and snap a few photos and reading between the lines it's quite evident the trip revived many fond memories for you.
A good write Marty and thank you for sharing.

Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Dennis N O'Brien

Post by Dennis N O'Brien » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:11 am

Going for a trip with my Dad was a combined nature and history lesson. How we didn't run off the road with Dad looking everywhere except where he was going, and pointing things out I don't know. Now the kids just sit in the back and listen to their ipods or play games on their iphones and seem to have no interest in the sights flashing by or the sounds and smells for that matter. My generation was little different to my father's but the kids now live in a totally changed world. Bit of a generalization I know but it's what I observe and if anything it's getting more pronounced I think.
Well written Marty. Oh I see your sister wrote it - make that well written Cathy. :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:23 pm

It's a valuable record to keep Marty. eventually family members " depart " and these things get lost if they are not written down. In this case it is recorded which is good.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Yair, grand memories Marty. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that your kids have received some 'Daddy' time too .... You'd be sharing your Dad with them (and reliving the moments) ... :D

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Enjoyed the read Marty. A beautiful part of the world. We under estimate the power of smell. It can bring back good and bad memories.

Heather :)

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:24 pm

One of the reasons I did the Ancestry family tree for my mob and recorded all Mums stories onto it - once she goes there will be no one left with those memories and it is becoming more important day by day as her memory is starting to fade quite rapidly. My newly discovered cousin in UK had no knowledge of any of them and no one left in UK who knew.

So both her and the other distant cousin I made contact with have been really chuffed to have it.

Linda by Uncles daughter has just told me that both her and her brother and their partners are going to come to Oz next year for a holiday. We are really looking forward to meeting them. I have never met Linda who is 2 years younger than me and my cousin Terry was 3 last time I saw him. Hope Mum is still with it enough when they get here to comprehend who they actually are

But those memories are so important Marty and should be recorded for future generations. I find the saddest thing is looking through old photo albums often with some fabulous photos in them and no one knows who they are or where they fit
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:04 am

Oh Heather I'm not even gonna go there. !!!! :shock: :shock:

" We under estimate the power of smell. It can bring back good and bad memories. "

Yes maureen it seems to be that there is always one in every family who becomes as Glenny said " The keeper of the family Tree "

Hopefully i can pass all I have collected on to my son and his boys who are the only surviving boys in our side of the tree.

Cheers and great memories Marty.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:46 am

... we've gotta put this stuff down for others or our 'tree' will become a stump ....

Rimeriter

Post by Rimeriter » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:30 pm

"Thanks" Marty.