Congratulations ABPA Toolangi winners

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Heather

Congratulations ABPA Toolangi winners

Post by Heather » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:20 pm

Congratulations to Val Wallace, Zondrae, Neville, Will Moody, Leonie Parker and Stephen Whiteside who all won various prizes at the Toolangi Festival. It was such a thrill to be there and hear all your names called out. Especially great to meet Will and Stephen.

Heather :)
Last edited by Heather on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zondrae

Re: Congratulations ABPA Toolangi winners

Post by Zondrae » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks Heather,

I haven't heard the full results yet but Stephen let me know I had been placed second in one section and a Honourable Mention in another.

Are you still thinking of going to Perth in February?
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:23 pm

I'd still really like to go to Boyup, Zondrae but there are a few things I need to sort first. I did look into camper vans but didn't get any further. Are you thinking of going?

Heather

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:24 pm

It is a possibility. But as you said there are lots of things to sort.
We had better retire this topic to private messages until we decide.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Bellobazza

Post by Bellobazza » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:58 pm

AND...
Congratulations to Heather on her TWO public performances at Toolangi. It won't be long before we see her name among the finalists of performance comps from what I saw and heard.
AND...
Congratulations to a certain Leonie Parker who had THREE Honourable Mentions. Leonie, I really liked all of them especially 'Brumby Man'. It must have been sooo close to a placing, and hope you give it another run.

AND...
A huge thank you to Jan Williams for making the beautiful Singing Gardens available for this event and for the work of the committee in keeping the memory of C.J. and his work alive.
I heartily recommend next years event to everyone who can make it.

Cheers, Will.
"Each poet that I know (he said)
has something funny in his head..." CJD

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Good to see you back Will. I just read Will, I wouldn't say it was a performance. With practice you will do it too! I don't know if I'll ever recite - I can't remember a thing! Maybe that is the next step to stepping outside my comfort zone - who knows.

I was very pleased to meet Will and then see him win second in the Adult Open Awards and then read (rather relucantly) his poem C.J. Dennis style. He also came 3rd in the Birds of the Singing Gardens section with The Regent Bowerbird. Zondrae received a 2nd in this section with A New Beginning. While we're at it, Zondrae also received an honourable mention for Adults Writing for Children with The Cat From Down the Swamp.

Sorry I missed your honourable mentions earlier Leonie. I thought the organisers would have posted the results. There were several sections and other awards went to David Campbell, Jim Brown (what a voice), Valerie Volk, Grahame Watt and Robyn Tilley. Watch out for Robyn; she's good (and a nice lady). There were also awards to several children.

Let's hope the weather is better for next year and we get to sit outside under those beautiful big trees. What an amazing place - and the rhododendrons were spectacular.

Bellobazza

Post by Bellobazza » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Heather...
What a shame you couldn't be there on Sunday. Still a little chilly for us sub-tropicals, but the rain cleared and we had a chane to really enjoy the magnificent grounds and some more great performances. The highlights of the trip for me were...

..meeting up with your good self, Stephen, Jim, David, Jan and many more C.J. Dennis fans;

..walking in the grounds where Den himself lived and composed many of his works;

..and seeing the countryside between here and Toolangi in such wonderful condition (I don't think I've ever seen so much of the country west of the divide so lush and green...feed so high that livestock were grazing without bending their necks!...magnificent.)

Cheers, Will.
P.S. "rather reluctantly"...a masterpiece of understatement. I can't get my head around the fact that you do that voluntarily!
"Each poet that I know (he said)
has something funny in his head..." CJD

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Baby steps Will and practice, practice, practice. It helps if you have a cause you are passionate about - you are suddenly willing to do things outside your comfort zone. It does get easier, I promise, but you do need to keep doing it. Try small groups first it's not as daunting. (I did feel like I was going to faint before I read the first one - sshh!)

That magnificent feed is the bane of our lives at the moment. I don't think I have seen the grass so high here in 22 years and it grows faster than you can mow it or the livestock can eat it. Today was spent mowing and erecting electric fences so the cows could eat out around the house before summer. I need a few more cows!

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks Will, glad you liked the Brumby man, and congrats on your win, well deserved.

I'll probably give all three another shot somewhere else. I entered them elsewhere before Toolangi and they got nothing at all. But like Heather said, if at first you don't suceed, try try again. The next try got honourable mentions, so the next one, who knows. Gotto give it a shot hey. :)

Thanks Heather, not to worry that you missed me I'll forgive you. :D But I was wondering. I got a phone call telling me I had three honourable mentions but was beginning to wonder if I had my comps mixed up seeing as they came on top of the Ippie one.

I admire all you people who do performance by the way. Just trying to memorise the poems would be too much for me, let alone getting up in front of an audience. Nope, too chicken.

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:49 pm

All three are really good Leonie. Just been reading the little booklet on Toolangi winners today in the sunshine. I like I Thought that I might Emigrate - funny. I think I missed you because I thought of you as TruBlu. It was also very very cold and the brain wasn't functioning too well!