Toolangi Festival Nov 12/13

ABPA members can post information and general feedback about bush poetry events.
Organisers can include bush poetry results in this forum.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Stephen Whiteside

Toolangi Festival Nov 12/13

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:26 am

The Toolangi Festival is being held later than usual this year, on the weekend of 12th and 13th November. The whole town is holding a festival again this year, and the CJ Dennis Toolangi Poetry Festival will be a part of that.

This will not alter the closing date for entries for the written poetry competition, however, which will remain 7th September, CJ Dennis' birthday. Prizes will be announced and awarded at a ceremony to be held at 'The Singing Gardens' at 2 pm on Saturday, 12th November.

Put it in your diary!
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

keats

Re: Toolangi Festival Nov 12/13

Post by keats » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:36 pm

G'day Stephen. Great to see you keeping it alive. Personally I can't stand C.J.Dennis, but I can't stand Beetroot either, so my opinion doesn't matter! lol I will pass the word around on my travels, we nee to keep up the interest in our craft as much as possible. If you have any fliers, let me know and I can run some off and take them around to the festivals I have coming up this year.

Cheers

keats

Stephen Whiteside

Re: Toolangi Festival Nov 12/13

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:03 pm

Very interested to hear you can't stand CJD. Pleased to see you being so 'big' about it, too! I suppose I can understand people not liking him. He was a rather effeminate, 'bird-like' creature from what I can gather. I can understand more 'masculine' types being quite put off by him. Is that what it's about, do you think? Or is there something else that I am missing? He seems to have inspired enormous loyalty in those who did take a shine to him. There is something about his appeal to me that I struggle to put into words. I love Paterson and Lawson, but there is something 'intellectual' and distant in my appreciation of them. Dennis hits me right in the guts. I've been reading his letters lately. Even in the most casual of moments he seems to have been so light-hearted and carefree, and inventive in his use of language. He didn't have any kids (that would have helped, I think!) and also spent vast slabs of his life doing much other than writing, which must have been good for his soul. On the other hand, he had to wait until middle age before fame and fortune arrived. I just find myself fascinated with the first couple of decades of the 20th century - especially the War years - and the way they shaped his life.

So far as flyers and so forth go, I don't think we run to that just yet. You never know, though. The festival seems to be growing every year. I'll keep you posted.

Please give me more detail about your dislike of the man.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au