Australian Bush Laureate Awards 2014

ABPA members can post information and general feedback about bush poetry events.
Organisers can include bush poetry results in this forum.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Brenda Joy

Australian Bush Laureate Awards 2014

Post by Brenda Joy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:31 am

G'day all,
Has anyone heard anything about entries for the 2014 Laureate Awards? I can't find it on the web and haven't received a reply to direct enquiries by email and phone.
Thanks for any help.
Brenda
Sing HU to open your heart.

Terry

Re: Australian Bush Laureate Awards 2014

Post by Terry » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:55 am

I haven't heard anything Brenda - they're probably Just running a bit late this year.

Terry

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:02 pm

I haven't heard anything either yet Bren ...

Brenda Joy

Post by Brenda Joy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks blokes - we'll keep each other posted OK!

Brenda Joy

Post by Brenda Joy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:27 pm

The nomination forms for 2014 are on the web in the Laureate site.

I seem to have a mental block on the following (no dumb blonde comments please). The nomination checklist states -

"Five copies of each book, CD or DVD containing nominations are required regardless of how many entries are made. If you are only nominating for Published Poem of the Year and the book in which the poem has been published is not already nominated in other categories by other nominees, then you need send ONE COPY ONLY of the book."

If I am nominating a poem from AWARD WINNING BUSH VERSE AND STORIES - how many copies of this book do I have to send?

Thank you for any help.
Brenda

Peely

Post by Peely » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:30 pm

G'day Brenda

I would take it that if that book is one that has been nominated by someone else (the publisher for example), that you would only need to name the book that the poem appears in for the judging panel to reference without having to forward any copies of the book. If it is not nominated, then one copy of the book.

That is how I read it. I am guessing that you would have to ask them if the book has been nominated before forwarding the entry.

Regards

John Peel
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Hey Brenda, Here's Max Ellis' response.
Hope this helps ... :)

Hi Manfred,
If Brenda is only nominating one poem for Published Poem Of the Year, then she needs send only one copy of the book. Should she be nominating for Book of the year (which I assume she is not) then she would need to send 5 copies of the book.

If she knows that the book from which the Published Poem is being drawn is also being entered by the publisher, then she does not need to send anything except a copy of the poem and the date on which it was published and by whom.

In other words we will send a copy of the published poem to each of the judges but if they are considering the book itself, they need 5 copies.

Hope that clarifies it!
Thanks Manfred,

Max

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Manfred, I can't find any mention of "Children's Poem of the Year" on the entry form. Do you know if this is simply an oversight, or whether there has been a conscious decision to remove this category?
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Brenda Joy

Post by Brenda Joy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Thank you John and thank you Manfred. Now all I (and anyone else submitting a poem from it) need to know is if AWARD WINNING BUSH VERSE AND STORIES has been or is to be nominated. It would be a great shame if it were not as David has done an excellent job putting it all together.

Thanks again
B-J :)

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:31 pm

G'day Stephen,

The short answer is, they're not running that section this year.
Their reasoning is that there are too few entries to make it a viable competition.

I dare say that if enough members write and complain it may be reintroduced next year?
Having said that, they would still need sufficient numbers to make it viable - NO, I don't know that 'suitable numbers' are ... :(

Sorry Stephen, that's all I've got ...