Cervantes Written Competition Results

ABPA members can post information and general feedback about bush poetry events.
Organisers can include bush poetry results in this forum.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Irene

Cervantes Written Competition Results

Post by Irene » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:47 pm

The Cervantes Art Festival concluded today, and the awards for the bush poetry written competition are as follows:

Winner:
A Cross Beside A Lonely Road - Ellis Campbell

Highly Commended:
The Ugly Side of Drought - Terry Piggot
Do You Think of Me? - Zondrae King
A Garden On the Wall - Heather Knight

Commended:
Old Life Dreams - David Delaney
The Valma June - Terry Piggot

I will post the Judge's comments below about how difficult his task was, but, suffice to say, it was basically one word used in a slightly incorrect context that separated Terry's poem - The Ugly Side of Drought from the winning poem.
Congratulations to all who placed in it, and to those who didn't - as per the judge's comments, there were many other poems that were winning poems. Unfortunately, only one can win.
Many thanks to all who supported the competition.

Judges Comments:

What a difficult task I was set, The standard was generally very high, almost half of the entries, in a different field, could have been among the placegetters.
In general, there was a high degree of consistency in the metre and the stress patterns that go to make a good Bush Poem flow easily.
The top third or so of entries had almost no technical errors, and it was largely on "storyline appeal" that I made my final decision.
Of those that didn't 'make the grade", only one was not what I would describe as "Good Aussie Rhyming Poetry" - it was lacking in almost all aspects.
Several others had difficulty sustaining a consistent stress pattern, such errors are almost immediately apparent when reading the poem as a stumble in the flow of the words.
This is by far the feature of Bush Poetry that is most difficult for many to achieve, In terms of rhyme, a far easier concept to get your head around than metre and stresses, there were a significant number who had imperfect rhyme. A couple had resorted to visual rhyme, - ie "I often find the gusty wind........ - but that's not what Bush poetry is about, it must stand up when read aloud.
There is no excuse for this for good (Australian) Rhyming Dictionaries are a tool that all Bush Poets should be using - they are readily available, either as a printed book or on line.

So there we have it, - Overall, a moderately good standard with around half being very good to excellent

My choices are

Commended 2 entries
a) "Old Life Dreams", a very lyrical poem about "getting away from it all"
b) ""The Valma June" a very descriptive verse about a shipwreck

Highly Commended 3 Entries
a) "Do You Think Of Me?" Delightful love story, not your usual Bush poem
b) "A Garden On The Wall" A rather simple poem, but with a very strong message
c) "The Ugly Side of Drought" Both very emotive and descriptive - unfortunately, the incorrect usage of one word lost it first place

And in 1st Place, a poem that touches the heart of all who pass along our highways and byways, on a subject that has had many variants over the years, This one also having a brilliant usage of words and structure. The Poem is "A Cross Beside A Lonely Road"
What goes around, comes around.