BLACK MAGIC

ABPA Financial members can post their Bush Poetry here ...
All Forum Visitors can view but only Financial ABPA Members can post and reply.
warooa

Re: BLACK MAGIC

Post by warooa » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:05 am

Geez, you've started another one here Nev. I see it's got that ubiquitous preservative 220, which is sulpur dioxide. It's in lots of stuff . . in most wines, stops them oxidising, but can play havoc with lots of peoples sinuses and allergies.

Anyway is it licorice or liquorice? We don't want to be using seppoism now do we?

Marty

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:41 am

So Heather, you just happened to go and buy a packet of Darrell Lea licorice for scientific research purposes :roll:

Watch the blood pressure Glenny, you might need to display a different avatar. ;)

I think Marty, that a few of the American spellings that we balk at, arose from a
well- intentioned effort to rationalise the confused spelling that besets the English language.
English spelling is a real bugbear at times, as you see Glenny can't spell Darrell Lea properly.

I prefer licorice because it distinguishes my taste from liquorish which means fondness for liquor. :roll: or, heaven forbid lickerish which means greedy or lecherous.
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:42 am

....as you see Glenny can't spell Darrell Lea properly. can so Neville...but not at that hour of the night. Just goes to show how much spoiling I don't get....whaaaa....no one buys me DarrEll Lea anything.....whaaaa!

Anyway is it licorice or liquorice?

Marty, I believe that 'Licorice' is septic tank, & 'liquorice' is Brit. (One would have thought our Neville'd been onta that?) I prefer 'licorice' as per Nev's thinking, but also because in my tiny tot years that was how it was spelt, because we actually got real licorice, albeit from the Yanks.

Can I come out of this bloody cornor now ? Either that or send someone else in for company.. !!!!

Yeah. I reckon Marty way over-qualifies you for the corner at present Bob. They should send him in & let you out.

xx Glenny
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:54 am

The Oxford English Dictionary gives the spelling as Liquorice and Licorice ( US )

When we were kids it was always Lickrish.

You can't come out of the corner Glenny until you can spell corner correctly. :lol:....sorry :roll:
Neville

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Hang on! When did I get put in the corner? Bob's in the corner....most undeservedly I might say....I thought Marty was in the corner now....oh I get it. Bob spelt 'corner' wrong & for that he gets stuck in the corner while Marty runs riot....& I get shoved in the corner because I quoted him. not fair. this is school is gay. (teen speak).
Ah well....wanna play two-up Bob? Looks like we're stuck here for a while.....
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Neville I discovered - quite by accident - that someone in my household was hiding a secret stash of licorice (probably from me). Now that i know it's there I just might go and see if I can find it......mmmmm

Heather :)

william williams

Post by william williams » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:41 pm

now behave your self BOb :o :shock: no playing tiddly winks :? or spin the bottle 8-) in the corner cause I know you cheat unfairly

bw

william williams

Post by william williams » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:43 pm

NO HEATHER it is not finder keeper

bw

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:29 pm

You're right Glenny, I misread the quote. I'll have to go in the corner. :cry:

That reminds me , have you heard of that famous English detective, Inspector Corner of the Yard. ..... :lol: .
:shock: .........Oh never mind :roll:
Neville

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Glenny is praying for Krispy Kreme which is why she looks happy
her hands in praise are raised for days – she’ll catch it if she’s snappy,
for she has just discovered now from Google who’s her friend
it’s a donut Liquorish crème delight - which into raptures will her send.

Snaffle that liquorish Heather, blame it on the mice - the only thing you could do was throw it away when you noticed the packet had been chewed when you discovered it during spring cleaning.

Those of you in the naughty corner had better perhaps emerge as it is doing irreparable damage to such fragile little persons
for children should not be separated from group activity for disruptive behaviour as it could have "very real and long-term damaging effects" on children and big kids. Now go play together nicely in your sandpit..
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.