Feet of Clay

ABPA Financial members can post their Bush Poetry here ...
All Forum Visitors can view but only Financial ABPA Members can post and reply.
Dave Smith

Re: Feet of Clay

Post by Dave Smith » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Sheep
I Keep Trying

Nerelie Teese

Post by Nerelie Teese » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the lovely comments and technical advice on Feet of Clay. I appreciated your thoughtful feedback Zondrae and the conversation this initiated. This certainly is a great learning forum.

I've always thought the term Feet of Clay referred to someone who'd been put on a pedestal (metaphorically) and was then found not to be as admirable as originally thought. I'm not always 100% right though :lol:

Cheers Nerelie

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:05 pm

"Nerelie everything seems to point to a meaning of " An underlying weakness ' Or " Not as strong as first thought"

Still It fits the bill for your poem

Well Done Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:01 am

I reckon you are 100% right Nerelie.
There are mixed receptions when there is reference to the Bible, but it is amazing what a large body of sayings that we use in everyday speech come from that source.
" Feet of clay " refers to the biblical Book of Daniel where the King of Babylon, Nebuchandezzar, has a vision in which he sees a great statue with a head of gold, chest of silver , feet of clay, hips of bronze, legs of iron and feet made of iron mixed with clay. As you have said Nerelie, a metaphor, a figure on a pedestal, which stood for the decline of the great imperial powers of the world.

A bloke named David Crystal has published a book devoted to explaining all the common sayings derived from the Bible. It's an interesting reference book but terribly tedious to read through.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:42 am

G'day Neville,

Sorry to pinch the thread for a sec..
Someone, knowing I go to church, gave me a translation of the Dead Sea Scrolls. The first twenty, or so, pages were riviting. Then it got so boring I have never been able to finish it. I left the book mark in place in case I ever think I'll try again. (Life is too short!).

Back to this thread. I understood the meaning of 'feet of clay' was - an idol who proved to be not worthy of admiration.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 am

... and an apt description for Ned too, feet of clay indeed.

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:18 am

I’m with you Leonie; one of our favourite songs is about a bloke that pinches sheep.
“and he sang as he shoved that Jumbuk in his tucker bag.” go figure.

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:19 am

.....ah, that would be Andy you refer to...."Andy sang, Andy watched Andy waited for....." Yeah, yeah I know....I'll leave now..... 8-)
Ross

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Good one Ross :lol:

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:28 pm

'As far as I know it's a type of near rhyme or slant rhyme , perhaps you could call it assonance'

Go to your room Neville! (that's a bit severe, sorry luv).....

Newbies often tell me that they 'have read' my tutorial. tch tch. Neville, can you help me out here....'tutorial'... thesaurus description please. I think it'll say something along the lines of repeatedly reading aka studying...a bit at a time...?

Anyway this is all in there. Ta Zondrae...you save me so much time. Your critique is correct IMO. Apart from technicalities, you will see an example of singular/plural rhyme in 'Unstrained', that when corrected conveys so much more 'power'.

'Assonance':
In the song 'Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue'.
'I'll be sad when you're goneI'll just cry all night long....'
'gone' & long' are assonance...not rhyme.

Hellooo Nerelie. Great to see you posting on here. Sing out next time you see me in Coles & we'll have a cuppa & a chat?

Cheeers
Glenny Palmer
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.