Burning Bright

ABPA Financial members can post their Bush Poetry here ...
All Forum Visitors can view but only Financial ABPA Members can post and reply.
Heather

Re: Burning Bright

Post by Heather » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Why thank you Bob and Neville I'm pleased that you liked it. I like some of those lines too Neville. I don't know where I get them from and sometimes when I read what I have written I find it hard to believe that I wrote it!

What I like about this poem (and I think Garden on the Wall was the same) is the soft ending on the first line and the stressed ending on the second line. There's something about the flow that I like. I am just pleased to have written something again. There are times I start to worry that I will never be able to write again. :cry:

Heather :D

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Heather I've got a mate up here who had a horrible year. His dad was very ill and things just were not working out. I call on him to help with performances and he bailed out three times during the year. Then I decided to just send him a text saying I was thinking of him and low and behold he replied saying he was back writing again. His own words " Bob mate I thought I had lost it but it was there all the time.

Cheers Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:30 am

Heather wrote:There are times I start to worry that I will never be able to write again.
Someone asked the famous painter Corot what was the one thing to do to become an accomplished artist, he replied " take up the brush and begin "
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:40 am

Oh I wish it were that easy Neville. It's more along the lines of what Bob said; there have been things happening in my life that have made it hard to even be in the mood to write. I just have to be patient because I know, like Bob's mate, that I have done it before so theoretically I can do it again! I have also learnt that I need to be inspired - I need to have a story to tell or to feel something very deeply and that doesn't happen very day. It is all a learning process and along the way I am learning more about me!

Heather :)

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Good one Heather a nice sentiment

Don’t forget you lot if ya gunna write about fire flies where the light shines from, :o
The elbow or so I’m told.

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:11 am

morning all,

regarding Terry's comments in ref to Heathers lines;

How do we know that our 'code' (for want of a better word) is being understood.? Sometimes I look at something I have written and wonder if it is too obscure. Or if anyone but myself would 'get' what I mean. I will have a dig around and see if I have ever posted "Hidden Gully". It has some 'bits' I really like but was not sure if my interpritation of my observation was transmitted to the reader.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:56 am

You're a cheeky one Dave. Do fireflies have elbows?

Zondrae I think you are quite justified to write something for yourself that others may not always understand. Others don't always have to read it either. Look at Matt, his poetry is often mystifying but I love the way he writes and the feel of his writing.

I know this poem is a bit abstract. I imagined a restless person, someone wanting to explore the world, maybe a swagman, someone nearing the end of their life or someone running away. The rhymes and the metre decided the way it went.

Bellobazza

Post by Bellobazza » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:34 pm

G'day Heather...
A really good piece that I really enjoyed. The rhythm is infectious and phrasing that is very pleasant on the ear. Dun good!

One very small suggestion you might consider...in this line
..."there’s a future bright, but daunting;"
see how it feels to you if the comma follows "future" instead of "bright" ?

Cheers, Will.
P.S. Google "Anglo-Saxon" poetry. This poem follows the precepts of that form quite closely.
"Each poet that I know (he said)
has something funny in his head..." CJD

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks Will. I'm chuffed that you liked it. I like your suggestion.