radio

ABPA Financial members can post their Bush Poetry here ...
All Forum Visitors can view but only Financial ABPA Members can post and reply.
r.magnay

Re: radio

Post by r.magnay » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Ahh Noel, though I am only a whippersnapper on here by some standards, I still remember the old battery powered valve radio, got turned on to hear the news and we all had to sit quietly until it was finished, then the wireless got switched off to save the batteries! It was at my Mums parents place, no power at all apart from the batteries in the wireless, tilly lamps and candles the only light we had, no fridge only a cool safe with asbestos infills in the doors which us kids used to pick out with our fingers! got a couple a cracks across the bum for that too! wood stove, the old Metters, so from a youg age we learned to swing an axe. Not too sure about 'the good old days,' but they weren't bad!
Ross

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:22 pm

You guys had radio ? You were lucky if I had not been born a boy I would not have had any toys to play with at all !!!!
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm a bloke.......and no Bob, I didn't have a radio....my grandparents had one!........still play with that toy do you? :roll:
Ross

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:08 pm

I’m not getting into this :roll:

TTFN :oops:
I Keep Trying

warooa

Post by warooa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:43 am

Smart choice Dave. Lead that Martyboy to the gutter and he'll play there all day.

Hey it's a small world, eh Noel and John.

Marty

noelcauser

Post by noelcauser » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 pm

To show just how much we prized the radio. We used to give a young student a ride home from school in the sulky. he lived one mile from town.This day something happen to scare the horse who jumped sideways hitting a stump and braking the shalves. The young student was holding onto a fully charged radio battery for his home and although we were all thrown out, this kid hit the ground running with the battery still intack. He would never ride home with us again.

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:52 pm

I can beat battery tales.

My uncle had a battery in a glass jar withan anode's in the middle like a car battery. It went for ever.

No trrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuble. I see nothing. :mrgreen:

John

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Hey!

How about Kero Fridges?

william williams

Post by william williams » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:14 pm

we used to have to rely on the old coolgardie safe woe betide the one that let it run out of water and there was a bigger one in our meat house that had a tank on the roof and hession down the sides wet to keep cool as in summer it held a sheep or a quarter of beef once a month and dad kept his beer in a string bag hanging in the underground water tank and once a month we were aloud a bottle of soft drink if we behaved ourselves you know the bottle with the marble in it and I still have one you used a candle to go out to the lou and we always had a good crop of lemons as dad and I would often stop on the way out back

those were the good old days if you did not behave your selves you could not sit down for a week as the saying goes the old battler

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:33 pm

Congratulations Noel and John ...
Was it Leonard Teale as Radio's Superman?

Up UP and awayyyyyyyyyyyyy ... :lol: