DISCARDED MEMORIES

ABPA Financial members can post their Bush Poetry here ...
All Forum Visitors can view but only Financial ABPA Members can post and reply.
Leonie

Re: DISCARDED MEMORIES

Post by Leonie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:11 pm

I like this, it's something I have often thought about. We see family portraits in antique shops probably on sale just for the frames but I wonder about the people in the pictures and think how sad no one wants them anymore. I have my Mum's old photo album and while I know who most of the people are, there are a few that I have no idea about and wish I could ask her. :(

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:17 am

G'day Trisha,

You pose an often asked question. Why would anyone throw away such treasures. I would like to think it was a mistake. These treasures were put in the wrong box or bag when moving house (?) or something like that.

I like the simple way you have set this poem down, nothing fancy, no clever writers tricks - just plain facts in simple rhyming couplets. This lets the story tell it's tale without getting in the way. Well done.

This careless attitude to family photos could be partly blamed on TV. I remember often, as a child, taking down the 'box' of photos and going through them. Each one would be poured over and explained. "Oh Yes, I remember that, was it Aunty Flo at Maude's wedding. You recall it? Uncle Fred got tippsy and wanted to make a speech etc,etc."
How much family history will be lost? And as for those demented people who spend hours - days- weeks scrapbooking to recreate history to suit their decorating ideas I, for one, will never believe their sanitised and perfectly staged version of the facts.

I wonder what will happen with photos in a few years. So much is left to the digital age and the computer. How many precious moments will be lost when the hard drive spits its dummy. I know in our household, we share shots by email etc So mostly they are stored in the computer. (I had better go and do an extra backup on an external drive) The younger ones take many of their photos on their phone cameras. Is the quality as good as a dedicated camera? And as for photos to hang on the wall - we do have those cute posed 'Pixie' photos where the baby is in a stew pot or laundry basket or dressed as a scarecrow or fairy. And I have seen naked babies dressed in only pearl necklaces. Cute yes, but are they as memorable as a straight shot of a mum cradling her newborn in her arms?
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:23 am

Now this is just spooky,

A photo of me taken in 1966 has just popped up on facebook! Talk about spooky!! As I said, we don't know at the time but we are recording history.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Trisha Patterson

Post by Trisha Patterson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:29 am

Hi Leonie,
I often wish old family photos had a diary page accompanying them in their albums; (at least some have details written on the back) but it would be much easier for the following generations, especially when there is no-one left to question; and I am guilty of not writing on every old photo too...maybe that can be a rainy-day job!

Trisha

Trisha Patterson

Post by Trisha Patterson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Zondrae,
I think the digital age will have a lot to answer for in the future, when it comes to photos! I too download some to my computer, but I think I will start to print them off again and write on the back. As for facebook...I dont use it at all and I dont think anyone has the right to post someone elses picture in cyberspace without their permission.
Cheers
Trisha

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:49 am

He knew I was keen to see it.

There are three different people gathering data on the development of the music scene in Wollongong from the sixties. I was an integral part of it. Photos are a good part of the genre.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:48 am

G'day Trish, I love your poem, not long after my Aunty died, my Uncle threw out a biscuit tin chockers with old photos that included baby photos of all my Uncles, Aunties & my mother, but most of all, rare photos of my paternal grandmother, these irreplaceable items are gone forever, under tonnes of land fill.

"To toss out family photographs is really quite a sin;
It leaves a gap in history that others can’t fill-in!"

Say's it all really.

Irene

Post by Irene » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:56 am

Hi Trish
Loved your poem - and so true!!
I remember one older lady I looked after many years ago, who was really worried about leaving her home - and turned out she was right to worry. She ended up in hospital, then straight into a nursing home type care, without being able to go home and sort out her gear. All her photos, etc were later found at the local tip.
I wrote a short poem a couple of years ago called 'Memories for Sale', which I will post - though it is not as well put as yours.

Catchya
IRene
What goes around, comes around.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:27 pm

Lovely poem Trisha. Reminds me of something that happened to me. Years ago I borrowed some family photos from an elderly distant relative who had no children. While I had those photos she died and I returned the photos to a family member on the day of the funeral. I really wondered if I had done the right thing as I was worried about what would happen to them. Her husband subsequently let me take what ever photos I wanted but the ones I had borrowed and really wanted had disappeared.

Years later I was contacted by a lady in England. The elderly lady's husband was her uncle and she had inherited the photos and was looking for a family member to give them too. I couldn't put my hands up quick enough. So the photos went to England and back again and are now safe and all copied. Pretty amazing.

Heather :)

Trisha Patterson

Post by Trisha Patterson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:27 am

Hi David & Irene
Thanks for the replies. From just the few experiences you have given, it makes one wonder just how many photos have been lost forever. Those heartless people mightn't have had sentiment for such things, but it doesn't give them the right to deprive others of what may well have brought them great joy!

and Heather, weren't you the lucky one! I'll bet that doesn't happen too often!
Cheers,
Trisha