Results Yass Show Poetry Comp

Event Organisers can post Results here, with a reminder to also forward any results to the Admin for posting on the Main ABPA page.
Robyn

Results Yass Show Poetry Comp

Post by Robyn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm

After 150 years, Yass Show Poetry Comp
For 150 years, Yass Show has showcased the best of local produce. Now a literary dimension has joined the wools, bulls and show-bags-full program at the town’s major community event of the year, as the inaugural Yass Show Poetry Competition came to a finale on Sunday March 17 with a St Patrick’s Day Poets’ Breakfast.
Ten poets vied for the performance poetry prize; awards for the Open, Bush and Junior written sections were presented and a selection of the short-listed poems were read or performed to a large and enthusiastic audience.
Congratulations to the winners and thank you to all those who entered. Your support is very much appreciated.

Bush poetry written
1: David Campbell Voices
2. Brenda Joy The Spirit that we Share
3. Gregory North That cunning old bastard
HC Brenda Joy Little Friend
Best local (100km radius of Yass) : John Buckmaster Sometimes
Encouragement awards:
Ted Webber Flowers for Mary,
Ian McFaul Gordon, the treacherous galah

Open written poetry
1: PS Cottier Banjo near Yass
2: Greg Piko I Can Love Alone
3. Victoria McGrath The Bead Threader
HC: Ted Webber Moving On
C: KR Massingham Winter Washday
Best local (100km radius of Yass): PS Cottier Banjo near Yass

Performance poetry
1: Ted Webber The Old Farm Ute (original)
2. Sue Pearce Love you Daddy (original)
3. Lorraine McCrimmon The Will Bobby Miller
Best local: Rob Gorman Fishing for Cod Murray Hartin
St Patrick’s Day prize: Roger Buckman Let Patrick have his day (original).

Junior written poetry
1: Liam Newman
2: Ashleigh Druett
3: Selina Smith
HC: Milli Duncan, Poppy Jones
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Terry

Re: Results Yass Show Poetry Comp

Post by Terry » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Congratulations all.

Terry

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Thank you Terry and congratulations Robyn- a job well done!!! It was a wonderful morning of Bush Poetry and great to see Frank Daniels back on stage showing that despite ill health he still knows how to make us laugh. Thank you Frank, it was the highlight of my day catching up with you :D . Thanks must also be extended to Zondrae for making the trip and giving us a taste of her poetry. All in all a great day was had by all and in the end- Bush Poetry was the winner.

Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Congratulations Robyn, for a well run event.

No long pauses while contestants made their way to the stage and no long wait for the results to be announced; I can't think of anything that I would suggest needs improving. Good weather is always a great start to the day. The audience were attentive and responsive. I must ask Robyn where she found them, I'd like to invite them to the Kemble Flame.

The performances were of a very high standard. Right from the outset I could see that my fellow judge and I would have to mark clearly and accurately to get a definite winner. In the end the winner rose just that little bit above the rest. His clear diction, relaxed style and mastery of memory had the crowd in the palm of his hand. Ted Webber presented his poem without hesitation and delighted the crowd with his eye contact and expressive gestures.
Sue made my eyes fill with tears of sympathy and Lorraine McCrimmon had us all crying with laughter. All in all a great day when poetry was the overall winner.
Zondrae King
a woman of words