Bundy Mob Memories

Post your images from any Bush Poetry events here.

Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb. If your greatest image dimension is 600px or under, there will be no problems keeping within the file sizes.
Keeping the LARGEST dimensions at 600px means, if the length is 600px then the width could be the same but preferably less. Conversly, if the width is 600px then the length could be the same but preferably less.
Forum rules
Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb and the dimensions UNDER 600 X 600px ...
thestoryteller

Re: Bundy Mob Memories

Post by thestoryteller » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:03 am

I certainly covered some country in 1997 and once again I found myself heading to the far North West and this time with Liz Ward and Bill Hay as we ventured out to the Inaugural Camooweal Drover’s Reunion. I had met Kelly Dixon, a great songwriter and poet who had a lot of success with his song, Leave Him Out There in the Longyard, earlier in the year at the Jondaryan Country Music Rush and had asked us to go out for the Festival as he was one of the co-ordinators.

Liz, Bill and I decided that the only way we could afford to go was to do shows along the way and we started at Miles. Then it was Roma, Barcaldine, Longreach, Winton, Cloncurry and Mt Isa. Liz had complained of not being well back at Roma but when we hit Longreach she said she couldn’t see out of eye that well and we began to get a bit worried. We left her in Cloncurry to see the Doctor and come out to Camooweal with friends the following day. Apparently she didn’t see the Doctor but when she hit Camooweal, Kelly’s partner Marion Dixon, being a nurse, sent her packing back to Mt Isa and she was then sent to Townsville to have a pace maker put in as she had heart trouble.

Bill and I camped at the local caravan park and had a great weekend performing and being Emcee for most of the weekend. Met Gus Williams for the first time and what a wonderful old gentleman he was. Ted Egan joined us and was a bit indigent that we could only come up with a soft drink carton for a tapping box the first performance. I got Ted to sign it and we raffled it off and gave it to a charity. I did come up with a beer carton for the next performance and he signed that and we raffled it was well.

It was great to meet up with so many of the old time drovers and song writers like Wally Brummel and my old mate Bluey Bostock. I was fortunate enough to pick up 1st places in the original and humorous sections and 2nd in the traditional section of the poetry.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e45b1adac4

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 69fbbd9245

In October Chris and I ducked down to the North Pine Camp Oven Bush Poets Festival and caught up with John and Patty Coutts whom I met out at Winton. It was a good gathering of poets and dad joined us as well. I picked up a 3rd spot in the original verse and did a bit of Emcee work as well.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... be8d5acb49

I was happy to be able to present to Liz Ward a sum of $800 dollars that the folk in Camooweal had donated to help her with her expenses when she was taken to Townsville for a pace maker. I asked Kelly if we could explain what had happened to Liz and take the hat around for her and he was happy to do so and we raised $400.00. Then a young aboriginal lass gave me a painting of hers and asked me to auction it and give the money to Liz also. This fetched another $400.00 and I thought that was a great gesture for a small crowd at Camooweal. Liz was very appreciative.
Last edited by thestoryteller on Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some days your the pidgeon and other days the statue.

thestoryteller

Post by thestoryteller » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:10 am

After enjoying the Mapleton Yarn Festival in 1996 I was happy to go back in 1997 and lend a hand in some of the organization and Emcee work. I had always wanted a driza bone coat and this year I won the Yarn Spinning and picked one up as a prize. Still wear it today.

The last event for 1997 was a trip down to Warwick with my dad and to compete in the Glengallon Bush Poetry Festival. I picked up a 3rd spot in the original section and I believe dad picked up a spot as well.

News to hand just before the end of the year was that my book, “In Days Gone By” had picked up a finalist spot in the Heritage Section of the Bush Laureate Awards that would be held in Tamworth in January 1998.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... a0f3cfaab4

1997 had been a busy year with the Bundy Mob and also getting to know many of the poets of that era.
Last edited by thestoryteller on Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thestoryteller

Post by thestoryteller » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Last edited by thestoryteller on Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thestoryteller

Post by thestoryteller » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:34 pm

In March we headed over to Laidley for their Golden Bell Poetry Competition and it was great to catch up with Kelly Dixon and Bruce Simpson.

I found it rather amusing that while I was performing one poem that the local Mayor who had been asked to judge was sound asleep. Needless to say that I didn’t do any good. Them’s the breaks.

The following weekend Chris and I headed over for the Jondaryan Woolshed Country Music Muster and took our daughter Meagan with us as she has a great singing voice and thought we should have a go in the country music section.

I picked up 1st place in the Traditional section for men and Chris for the women. In the men’s original section I picked up a second place and a win in The Poet’s Cutout in a reply to Liz Ward’s poem the year before claiming I got us lost on the way over. I also picked up best overall poet for the competition as well. My daughter Meagan was given an encouragement award for her singing.

In May I ducked down to Gatton with Lee Miller from the Bundy Mob for their Heritage Festival and picked up the Yarn Spinning. Chris and I had lived there for a couple of years and I had worked for Roy Kleidon and I believe that he was a sponsor for the trophies.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 04e2d910bd

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 9ca75de564

A well respected poet friend by the name of Betsy Chape invited us over for the Monto Dairy Festival Cream Can Awards and it was a great night and picked up a third place in the written competition with my poem, The Curing of Young Fred McPhee.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 33d28144e9
Last edited by thestoryteller on Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thestoryteller

Post by thestoryteller » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:38 pm

The 1998 Bundy Muster held in early July was a great success and Chris picked up a third spot in the Open Contemporary Section and my dad who joined us picked up a third spot in the Novice Traditional and 1st in the Novice Contemporary. I had the opportunity to perform on the Saturday concert and being co-ordinator.

This was to be my last year associated with the Muster.

John and Sandy Lees and the Bundy Poets have cared for it ever since.
Last edited by thestoryteller on Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alongtimegone

Post by alongtimegone » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:26 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your poetry travels Merv. You've certainly put in the miles.
Wazza

thestoryteller

Post by thestoryteller » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:49 pm

G'day Wazza.

It's been an interesting journey mate and Chris and I enjoyed the early years getting a handle on the art form and then going out to the public with our shows. They have taken us far and wide and we appreciate everyone has a different journey and they have enjoyed and are still enjoying theirs.

Sharing the culture of our land and way of life has been a lot of fun.

Appreciate your sharing the journey with us.

Merv.

thestoryteller

Post by thestoryteller » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Sad to hear that after all these years there will be no Muster in 2017.

John and Sandy did a lot of hard yards over the years but it is big job.

Hope there are those who will take over the reins again.

I have a lot of fond memories.

Merv.