Restoration

Post your images from any Bush Poetry events here.

Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb. If your greatest image dimension is 600px or under, there will be no problems keeping within the file sizes.
Keeping the LARGEST dimensions at 600px means, if the length is 600px then the width could be the same but preferably less. Conversly, if the width is 600px then the length could be the same but preferably less.
Forum rules
Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb and the dimensions UNDER 600 X 600px ...
Gary Harding

Restoration

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:10 pm

Book 1.jpg
Book 7 - new.jpg
I bought this Book "The Secret Key, and Other Verses" 1906 by George Essex Evans on Thursday at a local country bookfest for 20c.
Obviously the Hardcover had seen better days, in fact it was quite ratty as can be seen.
A new dustjacket courtesy of Microsoft Excel, a re-gilding of the top edge, some re- pressing of the frontice pieces, a fairly crude plastic outer added later and now it is a quite acceptable copy to be enjoyed.
Pages are subject to the usual foxing, but really not bad for 108 years old. I hope I look that good at that age.
The point is with little effort, a good book of bush verse can be rescued from the junk heap and given some dignity and longevity too.
As for George, well everyone likely has a different opinion of him as a bush poet. Who cares. The point here is Restoration, it CAN be done... and with no cost and minimal effort too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Restoration

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:11 pm

I would never have thought of doing that but by golly you've made a good fist of it - well done.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:37 pm

I don't like BIG books :lol: :| :| :lol: :lol: :lol:

still have not worked out how to resize pictures Gary.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks Maureen. I am glad you really appreciate what I have tried to do here.!

Saving something of literary value.

I took the (great) trouble to photograph and post these before/after shots on the forum as I thought it might be of interest to fellow ABPA members who are equally enamoured with the Olde Poets.

A smart dustjacket conceals a lot of sins, as in this instance.

I have had old poetry books leather-bound for restoration but that costs a lot, whereas this technique may be not quite as good but costs nothing but time.

I hope it at least proves of interest.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Well done Gary ...