Bourke - Poet's Trek

Post your images from any Bush Poetry events here.

Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb. If your greatest image dimension is 600px or under, there will be no problems keeping within the file sizes.
Keeping the LARGEST dimensions at 600px means, if the length is 600px then the width could be the same but preferably less. Conversly, if the width is 600px then the length could be the same but preferably less.
Forum rules
Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb and the dimensions UNDER 600 X 600px ...
manfredvijars

Bourke - Poet's Trek

Post by manfredvijars » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:01 am

In the footsteps of Lawson, Morant and Ogilvie ... Enjoy ... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neville Briggs

Re: Bourke - Poet's Trek

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:13 am

Yair I've been to Toorale Manfred. Is that evidence of graffiti vandalism by our President ??? :roll: :roll: :o

The main homestead was not in good condition when I was there. I don't see any pictures of the homestead here. Is it in ruins now ??
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:10 pm

We did this ourself. The vast inland was never really plush but it was much better before we took hundreds of thousands of sheep out there to compact the ground and eat all the seed.

I do love them big old shearing sheds though. Mannie did you work there as a young bloke?

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Toorale homestead is still there, sadly deteriorating. I'll post some more pics when I can.

No Dave, not me ...

No Nev it wasn't me, but I'm ashamed to say it appears to be a namesake if mine ... (Joe, Pete and a couple of others are there as well) :(

Darren

Post by Darren » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 pm

We certainly had no concept of the fragility of those enviroments. Even today the same thing still happens.

Farming native animals such as emus and kangaroos makes enviromental sense but is not palatable to the general population nor is it necessarily practical.

I have seen pictures of the shearing sheds at Puckapunyal when they were in full swing with sheep as far as you could see. I can't remember how many stands were there but it looked amazing.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Here's some of the homestead ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:11 pm

Pretty sad Manfred. And to think that the place once had a big room used as a ballroom for grand functions. The corregated iron wall is amazing.
If I am not mistaken, the place doesn't have any water now from the river, as the water licence was bought by the Government as part of some supposed effort to restore the health of the Darling River.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Indeed it is Nev, tragic actually ... :(

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Amazing pictures Manfred. She must have been something in her day.

Heather :)

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:38 pm

... apparently so Heather. McCacky built it for his niece ...