When the Nullabour was a dirt track ...

Post your images from any Bush Poetry events here.

Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb. If your greatest image dimension is 600px or under, there will be no problems keeping within the file sizes.
Keeping the LARGEST dimensions at 600px means, if the length is 600px then the width could be the same but preferably less. Conversly, if the width is 600px then the length could be the same but preferably less.
Forum rules
Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb and the dimensions UNDER 600 X 600px ...
manfredvijars

When the Nullabour was a dirt track ...

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:46 am

From the archives - When the Nullabour was a dirt track ... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Heather

Re: When the Nullabour was a dirt track ...

Post by Heather » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:31 am

Oh Manfred that is soooo cute! :D ....the car, the caravan, the fashions (not the dirt track). What a dinky little caravan.

Heather :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Heather that was top of the line way back in the dark ages.

Hey Manny.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Pacey on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

william williams

Post by william williams » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Struth Manfred when that was made you wern't long out of nappys 1958 star model ford customline Grandads was two tone green I use to us it tow my horse float around to the rodeos

Bill the old battler

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:34 pm

Spot on Bill, Star model. I think the whole rig cost about 8 or 9 hundred pounds (from a flawed memory).

Compliments of one good croc season in 66-67 ...

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Mannie that’s back when the Nullarbor was a nine day trip and a shower with a gallon of beer at each end.
I remember it well.

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:27 pm

I think we did it in about three or four Dave, from Norseman to Ceduna, unreliable water tanks along the way. The highlight for me was Madura Pass - about two miles of sealed road and a break in the landscape - very pretty. ... and I still remember those bloody corrugations ...

The semis would load up on the train at Port Augusta for the trip and drive off at Kalgoorlie. I did one trip with a mate and the carriages were straight out of a Western cowboy flick. No sleepers. Just stiff leather upholstered bench seats and you had a little kitchenette to do your own cooking. No guard carriage either as I recall. You could walk out to the end of the carriage and see the miles of line disappearing over the (flat) tree-less horizon ...

Was definitely the best train trip I have ever taken ... Driving back, by comparison, was boring.

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:56 am

You do have a flawed memory Manfred, if you bought in 66-67 it would have been dollars...not quids!... 8-)
Ross

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:09 am

Maybe. Even though the changeover occurred on the 14th of February 1966 people still thought in 'Pounds' and worried about the transition to kilometres and kilos ... :?

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:16 am

... there was also a great debate about the Government diddling us out of a 'penny' in the changeover from SIX pence to FIVE cents ... a few mathematical midgets would show, on paper, how the Govt stood to make a fortune from this secret tax ... :D