Hope Yet.

Share your recollections of days gone by....before they fade from our collective memories and are lost forever.
Bob Pacey

Hope Yet.

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:06 pm

I was talking to my grandkids today and they wanted to know what we did to amuse ourselves as we did not have TV or Computors.

They sat in silence as I explained that we spent most of our time outside on our bikes or skateboards or played games like hide and seek and other type of tag games.

I explained the planning that went into a fishing or crawchie catching trip and how we might ride many klms out of town on our bikes to spend a day by a favourite water hole.

Cubby houses or tree houses were made from scrap timber or cardboard and almost every yard had one.

I came home this afternoon to find the cubby house constructed in the back yard but did they have to make it in the middle of the only decent garden in the yard. I can not complain as next weekend the plan is to camp out in the back yard over night and just watching them buzz with excitement in the planning was a joy to behold.

They want me to dig out some of my old games eg Dominoes and checkers as well.

There is hope for this generation yet and hopefully I have created some memories for them.

Will not open up Grandads special box yet as that contains the real treasures or so they think and somethings are best left to the imagination.

Best afternoon ever.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Re: Hope Yet.

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Fantastic Bob. They are so fortunate to have such a good Grandfather.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Yep,

One of my mother's favourite phrases was "Get outside and play." We had no trees to climb or bikes to ride. Being girls, no football or cricket bat etc. But I always found someting to do.
I can think of at least four games you can play with a couple of sticks.

But by far, my favourite game seemed to be building castles. I would use anything I could find, from pine needles (in the school playground) to off cuts of timber or fibro,(from under our house) Mind you the walls were never more than about 2-cm high. The were more like lines on the ground than walls but always had doorways and more than one room. These castles were to be the main part of some, other game - but by the time the castle was finished I was called in or told to put the rubbish back where I found it before it got dark.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:10 pm

My Mum's favorite line was ''you kids fall in the creek and get drowned and I'll ring your bloody necks''!
I used to think a lot about how that would actually take place. The mind boggles!
Sue :? :?
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:37 am

I'm sure that they knew what you meant Sue. :lol: :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:47 pm

I saw my mother and father get married so any names they call me are all wrong.

Bob

william williams

Post by william williams » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:42 am

Hey Robbo! so did I when mom and dad they renewed their vows when I was 49 just encase they expired

Bill the old battler

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:00 pm

Never saw the need to renew them Bill. Once was enough and words are just words.

My son had the right idea just had a small ceremony at the government office and put all the money they would have spent on buying their first house.

Bob

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:36 am

Bob Pacey wrote:I saw my mother and father get married so any names they call me are all wrong.

Bob
.......wotabout possibly.....'temporarily illegitimate'....? :?
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.