Top of the Pops

Share your recollections of days gone by....before they fade from our collective memories and are lost forever.
Neville Briggs

Top of the Pops

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:13 am

I don't take much notice of the pop music scene these days. The top of the charts songs seems to be some incomprehensible din, usually with raunchy or in your face, slash and burn, anti everything lyrics. ( yes I'm prejudiced )

I can remember when the top of the pops was a little inoffensive and unsophisticated song called " How much is that doggy in the window..woof..woof "
Things got a bit more lively eventually with Buddy Holly jiving with " Peggy Sue "and " Oh Boy ", that was real hot stuff.

These songs were on the wireless :lol: the wireless we have these days is wireless phone, wireless remote TV control, wireless keyboard and computer mouse and wireless modems.
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Dave Smith

Re: Top of the Pops

Post by Dave Smith » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Yair but Marty after the sex diminishes ya still got the dancing. :shock:

TTFN 8-) :lol:
I Keep Trying

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:37 pm

Too much information Dave! I noticed that you posted that and ran ...albeit with a walking stick!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:14 pm

G'day Marty , I'm afraid my parents wouldn't have even known who Buddy Holly was.
They took no notice of teenage fads, to them that was just kid's stuff. .
If there was any early rocker that parents disliked, it was Elvis Presley.

The big star before the days of rock & roll was Johnny Ray ( Walkin' my baby back home ) .
and then Elvis overshadowed him, Buddy Holly had died young.

When the rock era started, Australia had a collection of home-grown rockers. I remember Johnny O'Keefe landing at our local music store for a visit. He leapt out of his car dressed in a leopard skin patterned jacket, tight gold pants, irridescent purple socks and shoes with long pointed toes. We thought that was just so wild and amazing.

Interestingly, after the advent of big and famous rock bands like The Beatles and Rolling Stones, a lot of the Australian pop/rock singers turned to the country scene. People like
Lana Cantrell, Johnny Devlin,Judy Stone, Bryan Davies, Frank Ifield and Lucky Starr ( I've been everywhere Man ) were big names in the early sixties pop scene, but some of these went country music and never returned as far as I know. Someone might be able to correct me.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.