The advent of television

Share your recollections of days gone by....before they fade from our collective memories and are lost forever.
keats

Re: The advent of television

Post by keats » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Hey Neville, how on earth did these blokes grow up educatered without watching Adventure Island, Mr. Squiggle or Skippy??????????

They must be delinquents. I know Peely is a BMX hoon, haven't met Bob yet, but I would expect him to be on a skateboard!!

Love all the shows you mentioned, and sadly remember them all!!

Neil

william williams

Post by william williams » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Vic on the jacky Gleeson show you missed a very good singer stage name Crazy Goganhimer his correct name was Frank Fontaine.

Bill the old battler

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Neil got me pegged first go. still ride a mean rip stick. I mean you have to to keep up with the grand kids. Never spent much time watching tv had too much to do. Catching crawtchies, Fishing, Shooting toppies and scavenging at the local tip.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:40 am

Neil, Mr Squiggle ( Norman Hetherington ) died in December 2010, He was a very talented artist.

That's a blast from the past Bill...Frank Fontaine.

Interesting Bill, both Frank Fontaine and Jerry Lewis would be in big trouble to-day because their comedy routine was an imitation of the characteristic speech of a disabled person.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:39 pm

It is indeed an interesting point Neville. How times have changed when what we thought was humorous is now regarded as being incorrect, and I must say rightly so. Those comedians who depended on aping or ridiculing others disabilities for a laugh are no longer seen,by very many people, as being funny .
Know a poet who performed (what he thought was humorous) a poem that ridicules gay people and was surprised when the audience not only objected but many got up and walked out!
Time for a rethink on our material perhaps.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:46 pm

But then again you must be selective with you audience and who can you laugh at if not yourself.

The only real stuff up I had was doing my prostate test poem first up for the local Probus group. You could have heard a pin drop
but once you explain that you raise money for both that and breast cancer as a lead in it is pretty well accepted.

The preamble can make or break some poems.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Pacey on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

keats

Post by keats » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Hope that's not the Gay Farmhand you are referring to Vic?

Neil

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:10 pm

'fraid it was Keats.
The poet greatly misread his audience and suffered the consequences. They were not amused to put it mildly.

keats

Post by keats » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:25 pm

Like to know who the poet was as that particular poem has sold several thousands CDs for me and been one of the most requested poems and most performed poems in Australian poetry comps and shows over the last 12 years, not to mention the awards it received. Obviously a poet who didn't read the poem first to see that it in no way is derogatory to gay people, but in fact, the total opposite. Gay people love the poem straight people love it, so obviously the poet misread a very homophobic audience. I have received standing ovations with that poem at both Gympie and Tamworth and have never had anybody walk out. Would like to to know who and when.

Keats

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:37 pm

Can't tell you who and when. It wouldn't be fair to him as he doesn't post on this site and I know he is still embarrassed by his gaffe.
I am totally aware of the past popularity of the poem but the point is "times is a changing" and I am sure it behoves us all to recognise that fact.
What was universally considered to be funny and acceptable is now often seen as not so funny or acceptable.
Very much more a case of correctly assessing our audiences before we launch into what has always been considered good.
Horses for courses and what you or I might do at some venues is now not going to be so accepted at others.
I have a couple of good old standby poems that I am always very careful of performing in front of certain audiences at certain venues. They are usually accepted for what they are but I am fully aware that given the wrong audience I could end up in a lot of trouble.