A Byrnes Goose

Share your recollections of days gone by....before they fade from our collective memories and are lost forever.
Zondrae

A Byrnes Goose

Post by Zondrae » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:06 pm

From a local newspaper of the times.

When researching my mothers side of the family, a cousn of mine came across this in a old newspaper at the library.

"Any family, having the peasure of a goose raised by Elizabeth Byrnes, of Bank Street, would have a fine Christmas Dinner. Mrs Byrnes, a well respected midwife and mother of fifteen, has a reputation for taking first prize with her hand raised gesse at every Wollongong Agricultural Show in which she has entered them. Her geese, along with her rhubarb jam, are much sought after."

Almost forgot to say she was my Grandmother. She had thirteen chidren of her own and the adopted two more. It is family folklaw that she said on her deathbed, "Why would I want to keep living. I can't have any more babies."

I didn't get to meet her. She died when my mother was 7 years old and my mum was raised by an older sister, Tess.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Re: A Byrnes Goose

Post by Heather » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Rhubarb jam sounds yummy Zondrae. What a lovely story Zondrae, even if it isn't true.

Heather :)

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Heather,

Why did you think it wasn't true? It is. Every word. My Mum was the 13th child. (and weighed 13 lbs at birth) My Grandmother then adopted two more girls. She died when my Mum was 7. It has been said that on her death bed she said something like "Why should I get better. I can't have any more babies." My Grandfather died when Mum was 14. The second oldest of the girls remained single and cared for the family until the Dad died. She then married and had only one child of her own.

The older sister who cared for my Mum and all the other little ones was Aunty Tess, wife of Uncle Clyde. Theirs was the home with the creek behind it, featured in some of my poems.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:35 pm

It is family folklaw that she said on her deathbed, "Why would I want to keep living. I can't have any more babies."
Sorry Zondrae, I didn't mean if the whole lot wasn't true - just the bit your grandmother reputedly said on her death bed. You said yourself it was folklore. I thought it was a good family story and there probably is an element of truth to it - there usually is.

Heather :)