Childhood influence.

Share your recollections of days gone by....before they fade from our collective memories and are lost forever.
Peely

Re: Childhood influence.

Post by Peely » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:28 pm

G'day All

A couple of links that might be of interest regarding Louisa Lawson (pdf files):

The Lonely Crossing and Other Poems by Louisa Lawson
Some Leading Articles from the Dawn by Louisa Lawson

There are plenty of other ebooks on the same site with the writings of other Australian poets and authors of the past. The link to the main page is:

University of Sydney Australian Literary and Historical Texts

These are not printable, unfortunately, but are not a bad reference to begin with. All authors works are out of copyright in Australia but may not be in other countries. Outside of Australia you might need to check this before downloading.

Regards

John Peel
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:18 am

Brilliant John. Thanks. :D

Heather

keats

Post by keats » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Wow, strange mixture here. My childhood influences were Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, Melanie Safka and Johnny Winter. Not an Australian amongst them, yet I hung on every word and note they said and played. Great writers and teachers. I don't think their influences were destructive to me being an Aussie boy from the bush and an Aussie poet in later years. Loved their word play. Never heard of Lawson or Patterson back then and I was at a Private Catholic College, but I still now draw from what I learnt as a kid from the others and also have the Aussie Poets of the past and present to read as well. Ah the memories! Going off now to play some Hendrix flat out in the Van Park!

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:44 pm

What do you do all day when you are not performing Neil ?

Bob the sticky beak. ?
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:01 pm

PATERSON...Neil ...one T. :o
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

keats

Post by keats » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Sorry Nev, I meant Paterson and Lawwson.

What do I do all day???????? I write, I walk, I play guitar and look for new places in this great country to photograph and enjoy. When I can be bothered I will service Apple Computers for people or write software programs, but thats just a hobby that helps pay the bills.

Yeah, what do I do all the rest of the time? Good question. I will have a beer and look into it. Have a show on at 4.30 though, so have to be quick!!

keats

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:39 pm

I've read all the replies. There are some really interesting experiences, and all unique.
keats wrote:Loved their word play.
I am so glad that you brought that up Neil, Poetry is about words and the music of language ( my teachers tell me ) . And those that know more than me, tell me that the stories and ideas emerge from the words and the way the words are put together. Not just in sentences and phrases but language as a type of magical song and dance.

And I think it was that strange attraction of word magic, that was the legacy that my mother and teachers gave to me by introducing me to poetry. One day I might be able to do it :)

Thanks for the information Peely, I'll have a look at those links that you posted.
Neville

warooa

Post by warooa » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:39 am

I agree Nev, about the poetry of words and music . . . like Neil I was entranced at a younger age by the words of the music I loved, but a lot was Aussie - beyond the raucus rasp of Jim Barnes there was some magical poetic lyrics from Don Walkers pen, then Paul Kelly, Dave Steel and ironically it wasn't until Mick Thomas's (WPA) Roaring Days (in 87?) that the Lawson influence reached me.

Marty

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks Marty ( I hate to tell you this but those name are a mystery to me :roll: )
Anyway, you've got it in your blood. Sounds good to me ;)
Neville