The games we played

Share your recollections of days gone by....before they fade from our collective memories and are lost forever.
Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: The games we played

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sun May 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Yes Bob, the councils are very concerned about safety, that's why they demolish the swings and build skateboard ramps instead.
in parks next to unfenced rivers :lol: :o
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sun May 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Nw here is a funny one,
My mother used to send me to walk, alone, down the street and it was a good kilometre or more, to buy her Garrick filter tipped cigarettes. I would have been aout 10 years old or maybe younger considering that I was sent to the hardwear shop to buy nails for Dad when he was building the house and I was 9 when we moved in. Gee, I can see so many things we can't do today in this memory.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Sun May 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Yep!, Zondrae.

Garrick cigarettes were in a green packet wth a Sphinx type lion laying over the name. :D

Good mivxture or preferences. gaspers and nails.

John

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 16, 2011 7:28 am

Just how old are you people ? I must be the youngest cannot remember any of those. But then I was a quiet kid from the country and we spent all our time shooting Toppies , Fishing and catching crawchies.

Oh i do remember Doctors and Nurses Maureen don't think that game will ever go out of fashion ?

:lol: :lol:

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon May 16, 2011 7:49 am

Has for me Bob - I am very over Doctors these days let me tell you and as for nurses unless they are Veterinary nurses I don't have much to do with them either. :)
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 16, 2011 8:00 am

Could be you have just not met the right Doctor yet Maureen. Trust me I'm a gynaecologist.

used to be a good pick up line !!!! ;) :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Eeeeee ooooooo. Obviously you have never had to visit a gynaecologist Bobbit. Could be a reason you are single!!!! :lol:

Sorry, Bobbit, couldn't help myself. :lol:

Purple moderator.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon May 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Ah, Garrick cigarettes! What about, Ardath, Craven A, Turf, Kensitas, Players, Three Threes, Red Rothmans, Black and White (my first smoke) Spud, Lexington, Blue, Red, Green and Brown Capstans, Old Chums, Phillip Morris, Kool etc..........?
What about lollies on a string that turned into buzz saws, columbines, MacRobertson chocolates, Sherberts in paper bags with hollow liquorice straws to suck it up (that never worked) Ju JU Jubes, Choo Choo Bars, Rainbow Balls, Marchants and Lloys soft drinks, Snow Cap Champagne and Horehound Root Beer?
How about kerosene Fireside heaters, their predecessors the tall, black, thin kero heaters, Primus metho stoves, kerosene shower heaters, Kosi stoves that were built to burn coke, gas lights in houses in the days of the power blackouts?
What about when the roads were full of Chryslers, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Fords of all shapes and sizes: Customlines, Pilots,Prefects, A and T models, Packards, Hupmobiles, Chevrolets, Oaklands, Whippets, Austins, Wolselys, Standards, Vanguards, Hudsons, Singers, Hillmans, Rileys, Studebakers, Armstrong Sidelys, Dodge, De Sotos, and who can forget the ugly Mayflower?

william williams

Post by william williams » Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Hey Mate don't forget the Fargo, and the Humbers and one I will never forget My grandfathers Auburn but mate you forgot my first car a 1939 willys knight bloody beautie hydrolic front brake and cable and rod drums in the back ones that never worked from the day I got it till 3years later when I sold it mind you if it could talk they would hang me but it towed my horse float all right. boy those were the days.

Bill the old battler

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Isn't it startling Vic, when you see a car lovingly restored for the nostalgic veteran car display and you think " I drove one of those " :o

I've never been a smoker but lollies I remember. Don't they still have choo choo bars ? We didn't suck the sherbert through the straw, we licked the licorice "straw" then dipped it in the sherbet and licked off the clinging sherbet coating. :lol:

Horehound beer was horrible stuff.!!
Second only to the worst of all , sarsparilla, which tasted like the most ghastly cheap cough medicine.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.