EARLY MEMORIES OF THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY

Share your recollections of days gone by....before they fade from our collective memories and are lost forever.
Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

EARLY MEMORIES OF THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 am

EARLY MEMORIES IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY

How well I remember the first real house that we had when we came to Australia and the traumas involved to my parents in re settling their family.

Having arrived in Australia aboard the 'SS Iberia' from England as new totally bewildered migrants in 1960 our first hurdle was to find that although we were supposed to disembark at Perth where our sponsors were – we were in fact going to be shipped to Sydney. Seems that whilst we were at sea things had gone belly up, the country was in a depression, and work had dried up.

The second shock was finding that half of our belongings had been unloaded at Perth. Big tea chests full of family photographs, Mums Wedgewood collection and apostle spoons, linen, clothing and other household treasures lost forever. We never saw them again.

Upon our arrival we were sent to a migrant hostel at Rooty Hill which to us was a one horse town miles away from anywhere..I think Australians saw it in a similar light then. My brother and I attended a one teacher school, amazed at these Aussie kids who must have been really poor because they didn’t wear any shoes. Mum tried to be cheerful about living in a tin Nissan hut in the middle of an Aussie summer, and caring for her baby daughter . All meals were eaten army style in the mess hall along with other migrants and we were all issued with cutlery and pannikins.

We – the kids – thought this was great fun – oodles of food and seconds if you wanted them. Don’t recollect what Mum thought of this , but suspect she saw her well mannered children turning into little ferals and running wild. We eventually were moved to Villawood migrant hostel which is now the Villawood detention centre. It was a bit closer to Sydney but Dad had no hope of finding work despite spending hours every day walking the streets and looking. Thousands of others were doing the same, and with our sponsors thousands of miles away from us in Perth. we were effectively completely on our own.

My Dad had been Master at Arms on the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth for many years and in the course of his travels had met many Australians who had said as we do – if you are in town look us up. So letting go his pride he did just that and contacted a couple who lived at Caloundra who remain family friends to this day…and in good Aussie style reached out the hand of friendship to a family in strife.

We moved to Caloundra – the long trip on the train was a source of excitement to us, but must have been a nightmare for Mum and Dad. We couldn’t afford the luxury of a sleeper – but who wanted to sleep anyway? We arrived at Landsborough station about 60 kilometres north of Brisbane around midnight – to a town as black as the ace of spades. Dad’s friends were waiting for us and after bundling us and our meagre belongings into the two trucks we set off for Caloundra.

The Donaldson family owned the local caravan park and the school bus run and made us very welcome with a lovely hot cuppa and some supper, then drove us to the little rented furnished home just below the lighthouse. Being very tired we all slept well that night, with the beam from the lighthouse flashing over our bedroom walls.

With the resilience of children, we kids were up bright and early exploring our new home. My first and lasting memory of Caloundra was the laughing Kookaburra that greeted us new chums that morning as he ushered in the sun.

Mums problems were more immediate. Wanting nothing more than a cup of tea and breakfast for her brood she was faced with the daunting task of using a wood stove, a big black monster, that ruled over the tiny kitchen. Being young we took no note of her difficulties which she must have overcome as we never went hungry..it was only when I went out to the property in my later years I realized what a daunting task this was for her – as I then walked in her shoes.

Mum then discovered cockroaches, hordes of them and these I think were almost Mums undoing…didn’t have them in England, but then she discovered the final indignity in the old backyard dunny or thunderbox. This was not what a well bought up middle class Englishwoman was used to…Dad didn’t care so much he came from up North in England and they were tough working class folks in Preston.

As Dad had walked past the rusting old water tank outside the back door he noticed a dribble of water – investigating it further he had touched the spot and thee tank being rusted now sported a larger hole. The dribble became a flow, the flow became a flood and Dad in true boy and the Dyke tradition was trying to stem the flow with his fist whilst yelling for Mum to brink buckets or jars to catch the water. Even the dumbest pommie knew that Australia had chronic water shortages and droughts and to die through lack of water after working so hard to get here was not part of Dads plan.

Meanwhile the next door neighbour stood laconically leaning against the fence rolling a smoke and watching the antics in amazement. Once he had ascertained that this was not some strange tribal dance we were partaking in he pointed out that we were in fact on town water and the tap was around the side of the house. You’d never know we were new chums….not much.

Time for us kids to attend school. A fair walk along dirt roads – and we wanted to be like the Aussie kids and we were not going to wear shoes – despite Mums horror. The pain inflicted on our tender feed by the sharp gravel was horrendous. But we bore it stoically and even grinned. We were Aussies now.

Mums first morning tea organized by the neighbourhood ladies was a ‘bring a plate’ affair – with no explanation of that truly Australian saying given. Presuming the hostess to be short of china, Mum obligingly took along 6 plates – all empty.

Over the course of the years we moved to Nambour where Dad did cane cutting - lasting all of three days in the blazing sun before the heatstroke and the beer got the better of him. Dad was never a drinker but the cane cutters always went to the pub on Friday night so they took Dad along. They also delivered him home - smashed - and asked Mum if she would like a hand putting him to bed. Dad had drunk 4 beers. I think the cane cutters were truly amazed. Dad managed to get a blue collar job on the local council, doing painting , and carpentry and such. His claim to fame was the toilet block at Cotton Tree just near the bridge..it still stands..a constant source of amazement to us as Dads bricklaying skills were at the best dodgy.

We then moved to Ascot in Brisbane where we attended Ascot State School - my one memory of there was a bitch of a teacher called Miss Wells who took great delight in sending me out to stand on the school verandah after announcing in a loud voice that I was useless, stupid and would amount to nothing. I lived to prove her wrong. After she slapped me across the face one time and Dad and she had harsh words she thankfully left me alone. Dad and Mum bought a corner store and Dad got work at Claude Neon's as an electrician installing the big flashing Neon advertising signs around Brisbane. I was in seventh heaven...a teenage girl surrounded by horses and jockeys. I worked for a while whenever I could for love of the horses and the opportunity to ride them at Harry Hatton's stables and had for a while the care of Prunda a gorgeous bay horse with the temperament of a lamb. He was a pretty good horse too in his day - still remembered . I have seen streets bearing his name.

Dad bought us a red heeler pup called Rusty - unbeknownst to me at the time, Rusty killed a lot of the neighbours chooks and jumped the fence and started rounding up the racehorses as they were being walked through the streets to the racecourse at Doomben. Dad took him to the pound but told me he had run off. I searched for that dog for weeks and broke my heart...I was about 30 before Dad actually told me the truth. Poor little bugger...he was only doing what he was bred to do. I hope someone gave him a loving home.

We then moved to Redcliffe and Mum and Dad both worked as nursing attendants at Eventide until they retired and moved out to Glasshouse Mountains. That was an idyllic time for all of us I think - I continued to attend Hendra High School travelling by bus backwards and forwards each day. I was in the first intake of students to Hendra High.

Many years have passed now..My Dad has gone, Mum is now well into her eighties – us kids have all grown and raised our own families and our kids are now raising their families. Our family gatherings now sport 4 generations of Australians. Between us we have covered a fair bit of our country. We are dinki di Aussies and bloody proud of it, and we all love our country with a passion.

When we were at Rooty Hill with no car we used to go on ‘constitutionals’ venturing forth in Indian file out along country roads, and I remember Dad stopping to talk with an old farmer who said to him ‘Mate – welcome to the land of Milk and Honey - but hope you bought your own cow and bloody bees.’ I found that hilarious and it stuck in my head and many years later wrote this for Mum and Dad as a heartfelt thanks for Dad’s foresight in bringing us to the land of Milk and Honey.

THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY

Welcome to Gods country, the land of milk and honey
but hope you bought your bees and bloody cows.
He said it with a grin but as I sit reminiscing
I realize it was, and still is now.

It’s a land that’s harsh and brutal but it breeds its people strong.
Its Bushmen are exalted in poetry and song .
This land we call Australia, an island large is she
and I’m bloody glad to be here. She’ll do me.

Whilst some still call me Pommie the majority don’t twig
that I’m not an Aussie born and bred and true blue ridgey didge,
‘cause I guess I seem fair dinkum, like a true blue Aussie Mate,
and by crikey that is true an’ all – I think this country’s great.

So to all you British Gentlemen with your Palaces and Halls,
you’re most welcome to come visit us and stay within our walls,
but remember us Colonials in our land of milk and honey
have a lifestyle others envy – bought with sweat and toil not money.

Maureen Clifford ©
Last edited by Maureen K Clifford on Fri May 06, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

manfredvijars

Re: EARLY MEMORIES OF THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY

Post by manfredvijars » Fri May 06, 2011 10:55 am

... and it is indeed Mauzie, it is indeed ... :D

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri May 06, 2011 11:20 am

Good one Maureen. I don't think there's much milk and honey in the Simpson Desert though.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Frank Daniel

Post by Frank Daniel » Fri May 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Dear Maureen and Manfred,
I have read your stories and am most impressed by your families hardships and endeavours to succeed in a new country.
A new country! Crikey! It was all we knew; we'd never been anywhere else!
I was born in the bomb shelter at Sydney Womens Hospital, known as Crown Street Hosptial, when the Japs were shelling Sydney Harbour from offshore submarines and midget subs within the harbour.
Dad and his two brothers were servicemen.
John was killed in 1941, Bob was imprisoned in Changi and Dad was returned home due to the near loss of Mother at my birth.
That's my paternal side, they were townies living in Bungendore on the Southern Tablelands, all were blacksmiths as was grandfather who stemmed from a long line of timber cutters and sawmillers.
My maternal side came from the land. Their name was Gallagher. I think they had a quid but as time passed on and property divided by so many descendants, it got to the stage where we each had bugger all and had to do our own thing to create a life of our own.
My brother (he's got a quid) purchased the family farm (Pa's place) to save the bank taking it and I went out on my own as a contractor. I'm still on my own!

At least we started here! That had to be a bonus! We didn't know the hardships that your people encountered with migrating and the language barriers. (Even for the Poms; 'bring a plate'!)
I'm proud to be an Aussie and to have so many Aussie mates whatever their nationality!
The Forum Poets, whether you know them personally or not, are a great mob to be tangled up with and congratulations to you all for keeping out heritage alive!
Keep on writin' and keep on recitin'

Joe

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Mauzie!! We're fellow "Boat-People" ... :D

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri May 06, 2011 4:55 pm

That we are Mannie and to this day I get sea sick and my son is a yachtie and boatbuilder currently working on his second boat a 50 foot cat...so far I have managed to weasel out of any boat trips with him :lol: :lol:

This is a clip I did for him of the two boats he has built the current one and the previous one Two Headed Love Child

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJFNaVyOW1w
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Sun May 08, 2011 3:48 pm

G'day, Maureen.

You were (your family) typical of newcomers during the forties, fifties, and sixties who migrated to Australia determined to work hard and enjoy the fruits of their labour.

There are no better people than true blue Aussies and no better country than Australia.

Regards,

John

G'day Joe

The old Crown Street Womens Hospital was the starting point for many of the population Joe.

An interesting piece of history woven around your families, mate.

Regards,

John

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue May 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Loved reading about your history Maureen. It was a priviledge. Loved the "plates".

Heather :)