C. J. Dennis' writings for the Melbourne Herald now online!

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Stephen Whiteside

C. J. Dennis' writings for the Melbourne Herald now online!

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Exciting new for all lovers of the works of C. J. Dennis! Dennis' numerous writings for the Melbourne Herald newspaper are finally appearing online as part of "Trove's" digitised newspaper collection. We are finally seeing poems (and works of prose) that have not seen the light of day for nearly one hundred years!

C. J. Dennis wrote a poem a day on topical events for the Melbourne Herald for most of the years between 1922 and 1938. He called his column "The Mooch of Life". (The phrase comes from "The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke".)

What I find works well is to type "The Mooch of Life" into the search box for the digitised newspapers. Pretty well anything that appears in the Herald is a piece of writing by Dennis.

Many of them are listed as 'coming soon'. In these cases, there is an option to type in your email address, and the link will be sent to you as soon as the article appears online.

It is a veritable smorgasbord! Happy days!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Shelley Hansen

Re: C. J. Dennis' writings for the Melbourne Herald now onli

Post by Shelley Hansen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:49 am

Hi Stephen

Sorry for my delay in responding to your post. This is simply wonderful! I just love Trove - for all sorts of reasons. It is aptly named - a real "treasure trove" of the past.

Looking forward to digging for some gems!

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")