Vale John Major

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
keats

Vale John Major

Post by keats » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Sadly one of our oldest members, and wonderful reciter John Major, passed
Away suddenly on the 12th Jan at his home at Mapleton Qld. A sad loss to our Bush Poets family. Further details as they come to hand re his funeral.

Shelley Hansen

Re: Vale John Major

Post by Shelley Hansen » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Thanks for posting this, Neil. I just got the sad news myself this evening.

I spoke to John just a few days ago on the phone. We shared various happy memories each of us has of working with school kids and poetry - and we planned to meet up in a couple of months. Sadly it was not to be.

On the ABPA Facebook page we shared a post just a few days ago of a concert John did for underprivileged kids on January 10. Here is the text of what he said:

Yesterday I entertained 69 Homeless Children who had been adopted by Australian Families in Brisbane. They were brought up to the Queensland, Conference and Camping Centre in Mapleton. A large block of land with playground versatilitys, swimming pool, tennis courts, camping huts and much more. I take my hat off to families who provide this well fare for homeless Children.

John made a wonderful contribution to Aussie Bush Poetry and our poetry community is poorer for his loss.

Regards
Shelley :cry:
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")