I don't understand.....Muse where are thou?

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
LongMan

I don't understand.....Muse where are thou?

Post by LongMan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:49 am

G'day All,

I don't enjoy negativity in any form but it happens. I hope those in charge will take the necessary steps and put things right. But I understand some things can't be tolerated...and I'd expect moderators/editors to act accordingly. Any web site it not a vehicle to "vent" but to encourage creativity and sponsor the core elements for why the site was established in the first place. Yet with what I see and read everywhere it has really disappointed me. What I see is the Classical smooth artful poetry....is now lost to other forms of expression. Disappointedly I've tried to sit down (Hard for me as I'm mostly in a bed) and write some thing creative which is hopefully something others will read and make them feel better. God knows we need more of it now days.

However I think I've lost my muse...or my will to write. Motivation is tough for me right now where I am, as most Americans don't understand Australian poetry nor the way its written. It seems the angry rant and slam loaded with frustration and hurt have taken over most if not all the publications. Is RAP music to blame here? My submissions have been rejected over and over and yet when I what made it I read nothing but slanderous 4 letter words about hate, vulgarity, and sorrow. Is this poetry? Its tough to get my style in a publication over here. Is it just me? Any advice?

Philip.

Shelley Hansen

Re: I don't understand.....Muse where are thou?

Post by Shelley Hansen » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:08 am

Hello Phil

It certainly is a challenge to get good poetry published. I'm sure many of us can relate to your experience - I certainly can. I also have had poems rejected, only to shake my head in disbelief when the accepted poems have been published. I don't like to criticise any poetry that has been written from the heart - but there is certainly some very odd (and offensive) stuff about.

Unfortunately the tendency to succumb to angry ranting is rife today. People everywhere cherish the right of free speech (as we should) - but sadly, so many mistakenly believe that free speech is devoid of accountability. With rights come responsibilities and that's something that you and I were taught. It's a pity that it is often forgotten these days.

I think we are fortunate that the spitting of venom occurs far less in Aussie bush poetry than in other genres. Although we can properly "rage" against things like crimes and injustices, maybe it is our "Fair Go, Mate!" philosophy that pulls us up from the hateful stuff. I hope so, anyway. It is a pity you are isolated in a land where Aussie-isms are not understood, but it's good that you can still share with all of us back home.

For some positive poetry reading, I don't know if you are subscribed to the fortnightly online publication "The Australia Times Poetry Magazine"? It is free to subscribe - you just have to register. It is edited by our own Maureen Clifford, who is committed to publishing high standard good quality poetry from Australia and beyond. I always enjoy its contents. If you are not already subscribed you can do so here: http://www.theaustraliatimes.com/magazine/poetry/

Keep up the good work - and don't despair over the temporary departure of "The Muse". She deserts all of us from time to time (in my case - fairly often!) With your critical health situation, you could be forgiven for succumbing to frustration (even bitterness) - but instead you use your precious energy in positive creative pursuits. That's a real inspiration and a good example for all of us.

Take care
Regards
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks Shelley for the vote of confidence and I can only say Phillip please do send me some of your work if you would like to. I would love to have more Aussies contributing work to an Aussie magazine which at times runs the risk of being overtaken by overseas poets who send their work to me in truckfuls.

All of the mags(over 30 now) are free of charge you merely have to sign in with your email address to access them and the poetry mag is a fortnightly edition with a large international readership.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:41 am

Have you considered writing for children, Philip? Children's publishers love positivity.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:07 pm

No worries Maureen - I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true :D

Stephen - that is an excellent suggestion, and your experience with writing for kids certainly bears that out. No doubt there is information online regarding publishers accepting works for children, which might be of interest to Phil (and others)?

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Yes. Google "writers - the school magazine".
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Wendy Seddon

Post by Wendy Seddon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi Philip,

I get discouraged sometimes when I enter comps and don't get anywhere.
I think the entries are not good enough so my talent isn't good enough.
Then I pop something on this website and get such wonderful feedback and encouragement
that I can blank out the negativity going on all around and keep at it.
Wen de Rhymewriter There is nothing mundane about the ordinary.

LongMan

Post by LongMan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:27 pm

G'day All,

Things are all on hold. In hospital for a bit....hope to be out soon.

Phil

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:03 pm

Hello Phil

I'm very sorry to hear that news and hope that your hospital stay is as short as possible. Mind how you go, and keep us posted on your progress.

Thoughts and best wishes are with you.

Best Regards
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines