MAKE A FOLDER

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Glenny Palmer

MAKE A FOLDER

Post by Glenny Palmer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:19 pm

After having worked for many hours recently on answering poets' questions about their particular poem & how to 'fix it up', I got the bright idea :idea: (?) that perhaps those who are really interested in learning may benefit from 'saving' posts that detail different techniques, in a Folder on their desktop.

There are many instances where myself or some other helpful poet has SHOWN how to 'fix up' a problem a member is having. It's one thing to read (& hopefully re-read, & re-read...) the tutorials & instructions available on the site, but it's excellent to actually have those techniques DEMONSTRATED on site.

I think it's a good idea. What thinkest Thou?...Thoughs...Thine...oooh.

Cheeers
Glenny
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Neville Briggs

Re: MAKE A FOLDER

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Good idea Glenny.

Or maybe they can be collected on a dedicated page on the forum. I dunno how that works. We used to have on the old forum a page of handy hints or some name like that.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:40 pm

I guess I'm old fashioned,

but I print mine out and file them in the filing cabinet under poetry advice and I have them for reference whenever I need them. I sometimes even just read them through to help imprint the 'rules' on my mind so I don't have to look it up. But then I'm a slow learner so maybe this isn't the best thing to do.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Thank you Neville. On the HOMEPAGE of this site there is a section labelled 'TIPS'.
Featured there is a marvellous collection of teachings from very accomplished writers. (How lucky are we?) Being:

David Campbell. Ellis Campbell. Noel Stallard. & then myself...(where I just discovered only has my 'Exercise In Writing Humour' & does not seem to have my tutorial on BASICS, 'Unstrained Melody.' Apologies to those whom I've directed there to access same. I'll get that sorted.)

Here, we share a bit of our 'profiles' as well as the all important teachings.

I don't know if Manfred can make a sub-folder there, or if it is viable to do so. Some may be more interested in one demonstration than others. I think it would probably suit better for the individual to 'save' that which takes their interest. :)

Dear Zondrae. Whatever works for you dear. You have steadfastly applied yourself to improving since day one, & just look at you now!
Thank you too dear.
Regards
Glenny

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 pm

I think some collection of techiques would be good. I've read and re-read the tips on this site (and have been very grateful for the insights received), but sometimes I find I assume I have a technique down pat, only to find out later that I haven't actually been hitting the mark I thought I was hitting. That is where the advice of more experienced poets becomes invaluable, and collecting the demonstrations of how to overcome various problems would be a great resource. I know assisting the L-plated poets is time consuming (and many thanks to those who have assisted me!), so I think anything we can do to streamline the process would be good!
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 pm

Hellooo Robyn,
Lovely to 'see' you again. I think I may have actually saved some, somewhere in this menagerie. I'll have a look when I get back from Tamworth, & if there's anything worthwhile I can post it in here.

I like your work very much Robyn. All the best with it. Thank you for your reply.
Cheeers
Glenny

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm with Zondrae - old school and like the bit of paper in front of me where I can read and do at the same time, although did wonder about whether having a favourites button on here could be a good thing to save things of particular interest and giving one the ability to recall them at will.

If we already have that Mannie I haven't sourced it :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Bonzaa idea Maureen. :idea: :idea: We better find out, eh? I'll see him in Tamworth.
Hope you are going goodo love.

Glenny

DollyDot

Post by DollyDot » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi All
I have been listening(?) no reading for some time now and still have not plucked up the courage to post any poems but love to follow what others are doing especially those that have been writing poetry for a long time. Anything at all that helps would be good. I find it so hard to read my work with a critical eye - almost like I internalise what I have written so that it seems okay but when I see others' work I realise that this is not so. I also think that sometimes what I write is forced. I am one of the people out here who keep reading and reading.... and reading...
At our Townsville Group meeting last night, I read out one of the collabrative poems as I thought it may encourage some of our members to hop on the forum and particapate thus giving me the courage to do so. I would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Dot Church

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi Dot,
There's no time like the present! I'd encourage you to take a deep breath and put something up... like's too short to hang back!
I hope you'll find encouragement and opportunities for improvement as we all learn together.
Cheers
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.