Green peas

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
r.magnay

Green peas

Post by r.magnay » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:50 pm

This is a true story which has taken place over the last couple of weeks and I reckon it warrants sharing.

Two weeks ago last night, I was working down at Docker River, 250Km West of Ayers Rock on the WA Border, On the Friday night about 6.30 I had put a pot of water on to boil some dehydrated green peas to go with my evening meal. The owners of the Donga (PowerWater) had recently put a couple of lounge chairs in the donga which I had discovered earlier, created some quite dramatic static electric shocks when I got out of the chair and touched the cupboard, sink, stove etc. I had worked out that if I removed my shoes or thongs...(the footwear type) which had been insulating me from the floor, I wouldn't get a boot. However, I sat down to watch the news and suddenly smelled the peas boiling their brains out, without realising I jumped up to remove them from the stove, of course I hadn't removed my thongs (the foot wear type) and when I grabbed the saucepan I got a shock, this caused me to spill the boiling water over my arm and as you can imagine did some serious cooking of my arm! I sat up all night putting chux wipes into the freezer and cooling my arm, I had to change them about every 10 minutes when they warmed up and stopped relieving the pain. By about 5.00 am I had stopped the arm cooking and could bear to leave the burns without too much attention. I packed up the camp, cleaned up and wrapped my arm in a couple of wet chux and a bandage, I then put some water bottles in my car fridge and turned it up to freeze, I wasn't going to get caught somewhere out by Lasseters cave with an unbearable pain and no first aid! I then drove home (750Km). On the Monday morning Sheryl and I went to the chemist, got some advice on what to dress it with and then dressed it. I went bush again the following day and dressed it daily myself, the next week I went and saw the nurse at the clinic who redressed it and said to continue treating it as we had been. I have now stopped dressing it and it is all but totally healed with no signs of scarring. It is a bit pink and I will keep sun screen on it but other than that I reckon it is pretty much totally healed!.........Thursday was my birthday, I only got home from out bush about 3.00pm, we went around to see my son and his wife and our two grandkids who have been away for a couple of weeks, but my daughter and her husband came around to see me a couple of hours ago, they brought me a small present, some jubes... which I love, and a packet of "P" plates, they have the white background with a green P on them, I am not too sure when or how they fit into the driving system so I said to them, "What the hell are these?" They said, "A packet of green P's...you shouldn't burn yourself with them!"...bloody smart arses.
Ross

manfredvijars

Re: Green peas

Post by manfredvijars » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:03 pm

... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Ouch :o Good story Ross ( sort of without the pain) :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Good to hear you have healed up ok Ross.

Heather :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm with you Ross but I would be working on revenge. A nice poem in the local paper works. !!!

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:00 pm

G'day, Ross.

A true fair dinkum Aussie yarn.

I like the bit about driving 750 k's home. :D

Mate, I wouldn't go that far for my holidays.

To the top of the class.

John

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:40 am

I knew you would like it manfred!...Thanks Neville, actually apart from when I took the cold off the burn to see if I could stand it, there was very little pain....if I hadn't had a freezer at my disposal I hate to think just what would have happened though. Thanks Heather, I know you are familiar with burns injuries, I am amazed at how well it has healed up! I think I might leave sleeping dogs lie Bob! Glad you enjoyed it John, 750Km is about the furtherest community I go to now days, a few years back I did quite a bit of work up around Borroloola, I had some work at Kiana Station, 1,070Km from my place to the homestead, one day I drove up there, set up camp and then did three hours work before I knocked off....those days are gone!....I still do between 40 and 50 thousand klicks a year in my work ute though.
Ross