A Day In The Life Of

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Heather

A Day In The Life Of

Post by Heather » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Some of you know that I've done a bit of volunteer work after the bushfires. I had to personally spend about $180,000 on goods for fire affected families in just over 12mths - it was a REALLY tough gig! Anyway, on two occasions I wrote of what I had done on a particular day. This is a true story but the names and places have been changed to protect the unsuspecting. I don't know if you'd call it a yarn, it's more of a diary entry. However, since I don't have anything else I offer this as a piece of my writing.

Saturday 23 January 2010 (11 ½ months after Black Saturday)

It’s my first day back on the road after about 3 weeks off. It is hard to get started again. I’m tired; the enthusiasm has gone.

It’s a cold and windy day – not very inviting. I drive first to Wandong where I deliver a bookshelf made by the Kilmore Men’s Shed to Andy. Liz is away for the day so I’ll have to deliver her quilt another time. Their house is finished and looks great – the windows strike me as incredibly clean! Andy, as always is happy to see me and grateful. A fire hose is put on the list for him.

Back to Main Road to see who I may have missed. Past the Thompson’s house – nobody there. Then up Small’s Lane; I haven’t been up there before but Cathy, whose house was lost there, tells me of a couple who are rebuilding there. As luck would have it, Bob and Lee are at the property. The house is at frame stage. They are living in Melbourne and come up on weekends to work on the house. I am pleased to be able to help someone who hasn’t received anything previously. I chat for a while until their baby begins to cry and I let them go.

Then off to Gabby and Bruce’s property. Luck again – they are there. I get a tour of the house – it looks great. The cornices aren’t all up and the painting needs finishing but the kitchen is in and the bathroom cupboards. We head up to the shed where it is blowing a gale and have a cup of coffee and a chat. I haven’t been able to catch up with Gabby for quite some time. She is still down in the dumps and I think our talk actually doesn’t help the mood of either of us. I must get moving; lots of people to see if I am going to spend the remaining $23,000 or so before the end of March.

I head along Main Road to the end but there are no other signs of life so head back towards View Road. Call into Graeme’s property but nobody is about and the shed is locked so I don’t leave the kitchen utensils I have for him. The house looks finished. Then up to Ron’s place, but once again, nobody around.

Down Valley Road. It is now noticeable how much undergrowth there is, but not everywhere. I drop a photo into Jim and Lisa’s mail box and then continue down to see Mary and Max. The house is full of painters and Max has paint all over his face. Mary is in good spirits and Max is excited. After a few minutes Max comes to tell Mary that he has had a chat with Harry from down the road. Harry is a producer with one of the TV news programs and is going to have a news crew at their residence on the 6th Feb when there will be a shin dig to thank Karl for the use of his dam on 7th February 2009. It also transpires that there are others that lost property further down Valley Rd. I had always thought Max and Mary were the last.

So I head down the unknown part of the road and soon come across the house described as Harry’s residence. Harry is home with his young daughter Ella. He unwittingly has a pink daisy neatly behind his ear and doesn’t realise this for most of our conversation. I try hard not to grin too much. Harry keenly shows me some photos of the “barn” they lost in the fire. It is more of a “French Provincial” building in appearance. Harry and Sharon were married in it and he lost his father’s guitar and other memorabilia; a sad loss as his father had died before he was born. He gets unexpectedly teary. It still strikes, nearly 12 months on, at the most unexpected times. Sharon arrives home with one sleepy daughter on her shoulder and the baby Sally in her car restraint. We chat about children, colic, lack of sleep. Don’t miss that at all! I take a small list of things that they could use and give Harry a fire hose. They tell me of other neighbours down the road and I set off to visit them.

Next - to the home of James and Rita on Sims Lane. They have a lovely green little garden but it is evident that they have lost a lot of trees, especially down the drive way. James is in his shed (a new one I think) putting a trolley together. We go inside and look at the garden on the other side of the house and then discuss what they may need. A list is compiled in my black note book. James fought the fire on the day while Rita was at a friend’s place watching. Rita had cancer treatment all through 2009 so they had an awful year but she now looks really well. They tell me of their neighbour Arthur and I head off to see him, Rita ringing first to let him know I am on my way. Arthur has “only just” applied for a couple of grants, thinking that others needed it more than he did.

Arthur’s place looks like a bomb has hit it. Shit everywhere. A HUGE excavation is dug out under the house and is full of water. What on earth was he thinking I wonder? Arthur is very welcoming and heralds me through the mess, warning of piles of dog shit, as we navigate our way to the front door. He invites me to have a drink but I insist I have had enough coffee for one day. We sit and chat; he shows me a tiny sewing machine and then an old Singer. He loves old things. I make a small list and he is keen to get another pump. As we leave and re-trace our steps around the dog turds, he picks up a cat and swings it by its front legs up to his chest; he loves the cat. He bids me farewell – I must have a coffee next time he insists.

I am running short of time so miss a couple of places and call in to see Maria and Jeff but it would appear that they have gone away – good for them. The house is finished, with window fittings, a wall around the decking and a water slide is visible. It looks great. They have worked really hard to get this house finished.

Next I call in to see Molly and Simon. Molly is a bit down in the dumps. She has just dropped Simon at the airport where he has gone to England for three weeks on business. She doesn’t like the drive out of the airport and is stressed because she has to find a new place to house their horses which are currently at Warrnambool. It’s just a case of everything at once. I like Molly. She is quiet but genuine and keeps out of the politics on Valley Road. Molly apologies profusely about the state of the house. I tell her I don’t come to see her house and mine isn’t much better (it is actually). I invite her to the BBQ tonight but know she probably won’t come as she is just too tired.

A quick call to see Jill and Ben. At first appearances it looks as though they are not home but the side door of the garage is open and they are inside having a cold drink. They have been out cutting wood and both are sore and exhausted, especially Jill. She is being really good and drinking soft drink. Ben says he has cut down to 3 or 4 cans a night. They are both relatively relaxed and quite chatty. I have a can of soft drink but know I need to keep moving. Jill cuts me some silver beet from the garden and gives me a lemon meringue pie from the freezer so that I don’t have to go back to Kilmore to buy something for dessert.

A quick trip to Wayne and Jan’s place to deliver some blue stackers. They aren’t home which suits me as I am now in a hurry. I drop them at the door and leave for the drive home.

Heather Knight

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: A Day In The Life Of

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:27 pm

You my love must (to the people you visit and help) come complete with halo and wings - their days would be so much brighter just seeing your car coming down the road.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm trying to write my volunteer story for the bushfire book Maureen but it is really hard and I'm dithering. If it were just about me I wouldn't bother but it because it involves a lot of others that gave and they need to be recognised so I need to do it. Those on the receiving end often didn't know who was giving to them. Might run it past you and see what you think.

Heather :)

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Do that Heather I would be really chuffed to read it first - I think you know my good neighbour and friends family were in Kinglake when the fires went through and lost their homes and his Mum was evacuated from her Nursing home...I don't think any of them have moved back. Can't face it - which I well understand.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Good one Heather, wonderful read eh! & I also agree with Maureens 1st comment. :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Definately not a yarn Heather, more like a message from an angel.

Thanks for posting it Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

william williams

Post by william williams » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:16 pm

thanks heather well told. I have friends in the Kinglake area luckily un touched but understand having been involved in the fires in the Dandenong’s and the Grampians
and more recently the Canberra fire I can understand it very easily thanks once again

Bill the old battler

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Thanks Dave, Bob and Bill. Far from an angel Bob, I'm much too cheeky. I feel a bit self conscious about this now. I just wanted to share something I had written that wasn't a poem. I hadn't looked at it for ages and it was lovely to read and remember again.

Heather :)

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:42 pm

I've read some of this before, Heather. :D

I hope things are going your way.

And the community, of course.

Best of luck.

John

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:00 am

Heather... I think your story in the format of a diary is a great idea . Perhaps for your book, a mixture, if you can do it, diary entries along with more sort of observational narrative. The diary entry format gives it a close and personal touch that suits the theme I think, working with an event that is a great personal tragedy. I don't know where you get the energy to do all that work and recording as you go ! That's fantastic.

p.s. I'll get to read all these yarns pages, they're piling up fast.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.