Consider your verdict.

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Neville Briggs

Consider your verdict.

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 am

In days gone by out in the bush, when a jury was required, it was the job of the local police officer to compile the jury list with names taken from the electoral roll.
Out at the little NSW country town of Lithgow, the Constable diligently did his duty and presented a list of names to the court.

The list read;

Mr. Black Mr. White
Mr. Brown Mr. Green
Mr. Long Mr. Short.
Mr. Fisher Mr. Hunter
Mr. Butcher Mr. Baker
Mr. Walker Mr. Ryder

When the judge saw the list he said to the Constable " You're having a go at me " to which the Constable very sincerely replied " Certainly not Your Honour, it is just the names that came up "

True story. trust me, :roll: :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

r.magnay

Re: Consider your verdict.

Post by r.magnay » Tue May 13, 2014 2:21 pm

You know, I have met or known all of those bar Mr Long and Mr Short.........but I can't say I have seen them all at once..... :D
Ross

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue May 13, 2014 10:40 pm

I bet that officer went out of his way to find those particular gentlemen for the jury Neville.

Funny story Matt - I wonder if the judge re-visited his judgement.

I was called as a witness a few years back and it was interesting sitting in the court listening to the other preceeding cases. Hours of entertainment. The one that sticks in my mind was a fellow who was charged with something I can't recall (I think he was having an affair with his girlfriend's younger sister and there was a fight - only it was him that got hurt in the affray) but what was funny was when he was given a short suspended sentence and he then stood up in court and begged the magistrate to please give him a longer suspended sentence....while his bewildered barrister was begging him to sit down and be quiet. He said he wanted a longer suspended sentence because he said it kept him honest. I remember struggling not to giggle in court. The policeman that I was dealing with couldn't keep a straight face and we couldn't look at each other. From memory the man got his longer sentence. Did I mention it was Seymour! ;)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 am

Amazing coincidence isn't it Ross, Heather. :roll: :roll: :lol:

I've heard that story Matt. I am not sure if it just a mealroom myth , one never knows :) in the version I heard, the magistrate in question was Pat O'Shane.

There are some highly laughable happenings in the court room Heather. :) I remember one where the defendant tried to make the excuse that he didn't know that drink driving was unlawful. The Magistrate said it was publicised widely on TV, defendant said he didn't have a TV, Magistrate said it was widely publicised in the papers, defendant said he couldn't read. He claimed to be the victim of discrimination. The defendant was Irish. All true :lol: :lol:
He was convicted. :)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed May 14, 2014 8:33 am

Aah, ya gotta love the Irish don't you Neville? :)