LEMONS

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Neville Briggs

LEMONS

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:44 am

LEMONS

King Henry VIII of England had a strong naval force. The pride of Henry’s fleet was a caravel type sailing ship named the Mary Rose. For 30 years the Mary Rose had performed excellent service as a powerful military vessel, that is, until 1545.

In 1545 the English were at war with the French and a naval battle ensued in the Solent off the Isle of Wight. Henry’s battle fleet set out up the Solent, led by the magnificent Mary Rose. Armed with large bronze cannons and with flags flying, sails spreading and weapons ready, the Mary Rose turned into the wind , heeled over…..and sank like a stone. In a matter of minutes, this ship was transformed from a rose to a lemon.

Of course, history is littered with many flops, foozles and failures; often characterized as lemons. For example, the Ford Edsel, the Leyland P76 with its aluminium V8 motor, the dynamite artillery shell and the unsinkable Titanic.
There have been literary allusions like Lemony Snikket, and political lemons such as Joh for PM, Pauline Hanson’s One Nation Party and Mark Latham for PM. Although Latham is probably more sour grapes than sour lemons.

But why should failures be called lemons ? We lemons are getting just a bit jack of this.

“ Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat “ so sang Peter Paul and Mary. What rubbish !
Lemons are not failures, lemons are not useless or unpalatable, far from it !
We are the victims of discriminatory stereotyping.

Lemons have an important and irreplaceable part to play in life’s pleasures.
Without lemons there would be no lemonade. Raffles Hotel would go to the wall without this vital ingredient of the Singapore Sling. And what about lemon meringue pie. Would anyone want to have the sickly revolting banality of orange meringue pie?. No way !
And there would be a catastrophic collapse of the fish and chips market without lemon wedges to squeeze over your battered fish pieces. Greek cuisine would fall like the Roman Empire without lemons to flavour the calamari and tsiziki.

So understand why we lemons are upset at the unjust application of the name lemons as a common cacophemism. We protest, we take issue, take offense
demur, dissent and expostulate at this citrophobic stereotyping.
It’s time for lemons everywhere to advance with citrus pride.
We will celebrate our usefulness and indispensible place in the practice of culinary sophistication.

See our aureate skin; the colour of the sun. Look on us and admire.
Lemon activism will ensure that lemons will no longer be the name of something gone sour, rather lemon should refer to something golden and fragrant and zesty.
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

william williams

Re: LEMONS

Post by william williams » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:09 am

OOPPPS

BILL W

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:06 pm

...watch any half serious cooking show Neville and you will see that lemons and their close cousin the lime, are now quite sought after culinary ingredients.... ;)
Ross

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:17 pm

There are times Ross when it seem almost impossible to not be watching a cooking show.

Terry

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:09 am

:lol: ..you're right there Terry!
Ross

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue May 13, 2014 10:15 pm

Love it Neville! :)

warooa

Post by warooa » Wed May 14, 2014 4:14 am

:D happy lemon :oops: burnt lemon :ugeek: lemon with glasses and goatee :mrgreen: radioactive lemon

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed May 14, 2014 6:50 am

I'm going back to bed cause I have the dreaded MAN FLU not that anyone would care, will have to make my own hot LEMON drink.

Oh and you forgot Julia Gillard Nev,

I know I'm going.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed May 14, 2014 7:43 am

Thanks everyone for replies. :lol:

Bob, when I had the flu in my young days my father used to ply me with hot lemon mixed with rum and an egg. I got well real quick so I didn't have to ingest any more of the ghastly stuff. :)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Wed May 14, 2014 12:25 pm

...Kev was pretty well full of it wasn't he?... 8-)
Ross