The Day The Earth Moved For Val And I

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Terry

The Day The Earth Moved For Val And I

Post by Terry » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:06 pm

I don't seem to have the time to write any poems lately, so here's another little Yarn - It's all true.

THE DAY THE WORLD MOVED FOR VAL AND I

Has the world ever moved for you the way it did for Val and I at approximately 11am on a bright sunny day on October the 14th 1968 at Busselton.
But let’s go back to the beginning, I had just returned from Coober Pedy a few days before to embark on a massive change to my lifestyle; I was about to get married on the 26th of October and was feeling pretty nervous about it. Gone would be my old idle footloose ways of chasing adventure all around the country without a care in the world.
I had met Val on one of my infrequent trips home to Albany in the west. Val was a lovely quite shy young girl and I the knockabout young bloke who thought he was immune to cupid’s arrows, but alas I was smitten from the start. This had the effect of me returning home on a more regular basis and eventually becoming engaged.
The wedding plans were well advanced by the time I got back that last time and Valma and I had driven to her Parents home in Busselton to prepare for the wedding.
On the 14th it had been arranged for us to visit a JP to sign the necessary papers to get married, so Val’s dad Jack drove us into town to sign up.
We had just prepared to put pen to paper when the house started shaking violently which saw us all decamp at a rapid pace, it was only later that we found out the Meckering Earthquake some hundreds of kilometre away was the culprit.
Despite these warning signals we both bit the bullet and signed up – Poor Old Val.

r.magnay

Re: The Day The Earth Moved For Val And I

Post by r.magnay » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:13 am

...risky Terry very risky... :lol: just lucky you made the right decision hey?... ;)
Ross

warooa

Post by warooa » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:23 am

Shaken but not stirred eh? :)

Happy anniversary (for tomorrow) Terry ;) 45 yrs.

Cheers, Marty

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:28 am

Not good timing Terry imagine if it happened on THE NIGHT ! Then you would have to perform every time :lol: :lol: :lol:

I went out to get some food on my wedding night and came back to find my new bride asleep and the door locked :shock: :shock: :shock:

Perhaps I should have taken the hint .

Happy anniversary mate to both of you.

Cheers Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

william williams

Post by william williams » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:50 am

Ah :shock: :o that was the Devils warning mate :? DO OR DIE :roll: congrats mate

bill Williams

Terry

Post by Terry » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:09 am

Hi Ross,
Your right mate, I guess we have stood the test of time and are still the best of mates.
We make a lot of decisions throughout life and live to regret many of them, this was one that I have never regretted.

Thanks Marty
Yes I wonder where the years have gone mate.

G/day Bob
Getting locked out on your first night mate - now that is a worry.
Thanks for the good wishes.

Thanks Bill,
I'm thinking it was Valma who was getting warned mate.

Cheers and thanks all.

Terry

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:08 pm

And how does Val feel about being called "poor old Val"? I think you both did more than Ok Terry. :)

Yep, Bob, I'd have taken the hint!