Is Santa getting fatter?

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Stephen Whiteside

Is Santa getting fatter?

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:40 am

Is Santa getting fatter, or what? Last year he got stuck in our chimney, and did quite a lot of damage. It's never been a problem before. The chimney hasn't changed, so...

I looked at having it widened, but that was not practicable. It's been repaired, and re-inforced a little, so I have my fingers crossed for this year. I looked at putting a grill across the top, but that didn't seem very friendly and besides, I was worried I might scare him off completely. The kids would never forgive me if I did that.

Why would Santa be getting fatter? It's a good question, isn't it. We just expect him to stay the same weight from year to year, but I imagine he has his ups and downs like anybody else. I ask myself if global warming could have anything to do with it - the melting of the ice-caps, and so forth. It's probably warmer up there in the winter, which might mean he's able to move around more - more trips incognito into hamburger joints in Alaska, Greenland and Siberia. Then again, if he's moving around more, you'd expect him to lose weight. Could go either way, I suppose. Anybody's guess.

All I know is he ruined my chimney last year, and I won't be impressed if it happens again. At the end of the day, the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the presents delivered - assuming I could simply sell them - which I can't, of course.

The reindeer play merry hell with the tiles, too. Several cracked last year, and quite a lot dislodged. I won't be impressed if it's a wet night.

Ah, Christmas. It's a stressful time, isn't it.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Is Santa getting fatter?

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:23 am

Hope your chimney is not blocked and your tiles not cracked this year Stephen :lol: :lol: :lol: If you have a good working dog it helps - the reindeers just keep circling :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.