50 Salt

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Stephen Whiteside

50 Salt

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:58 am

50 Salt

© Stephen Whiteside 02.12.2011

Days passed. Most of the paddles were discarded in favour of a chosen few. Horatio and Magnifico became very skilled at manoeuvring their small craft. Horatio’s shoulder slowly healed.

Slowly but perceptibly, the river changed. Rapids and pools were replaced by a smooth, steady flow. The banks grew wider apart.

One day, while dipping his mouth into the river for his morning drink, Magnifico drew back in disgust.

That tastes foul!

What do you mean?

Try it for yourself.

Horatio had a drink, and his reaction was exactly the same as Magnifico’s.

How odd. Let’s get going. Perhaps it will taste a bit better downstream.

But it didn’t taste better. If anything, it tasted worse.

Horatio and Magnifico were stumped. They knew nothing of salt water, and the sea. All they knew was that the water was becoming undrinkable, and they did not know why. Without water, they were stymied. They had no way of carrying their own supplies, and were entirely dependent on that they found in the river. Right now, it was undrinkable.

We’ll have to head back, Horatio. We need to get back upstream to where the water was good. We can’t afford to have a night without water.

But we can’t go back, Magnifico. We haven’t found a peanut cow yet. If we do back, where do we go then? We can’t simply strike out cross country. We’ve already tried that, and we know that doesn’t work. It has to be the river. The river will provide. It has always provided. It will provide again now.

But it’s not, Horatio. Can’t you see? It has changed. It has always provided until now, but now it is not providing, and we have to adapt to that. It’s beautiful here. We could happily live the rest of our lives upstream where the water was good. Maybe you’re destined never to meet your peanut cow. Maybe that’s just the way things are.

Perhaps you’re right, Magnifico. But it’s not over yet. I’m not giving up that easily.

Magnifico looked at Horatio, then dropped his gaze to the raft at his feet and shook his head. What to do with a rat like this? A stubborn, unreasonable rat like this? A rat with an apparent death wish, who was prepared to take others with him if necessary?

I don’t know, Horatio. I just don’t know. In the past I’ve come with you against my will, but I’ve never felt it was life and death before. At least, not directly. Not like this. I don’t know if I can do it this time.

But Magnifico, it’s always worked out well, hasn’t it? You’ve got no regrets, have you?

Horatio waited for Magnifico’s reply, but it did not come. He pressed on.

Look, I reckon we could survive a night without water. It would not be pleasant, but we would survive. If we don’t find any drinkable water today, we’ll head back upstream tomorrow. I promise.

Even then, it’s not that easy, Horatio. We’ll be paddling upstream tomorrow.

True, but we’re pretty good paddlers now, and the current has slowed down quite a lot, and we can stick to the bank, where the current is even slower still.

Yes, but the raft is harder to paddle in shallow water. You know that.

Once again, the two rodents stared at each other for a long time.

Magnifico was the first to speak.

One day, Horatio! I’ll give you one day, that’s all!

One day, that’s right. That’s all I’m asking for.

With a deep sigh and a shake of his head, Magnifico resumed his downstream paddling.

Horatio suggested they move closer to the bank. He stopped his paddling, and began to scan the shore-line for any clues to their salvation.

An hour went by. Another.

Look, Magnifico! What’s that?

A small rivulet of sparkling water appeared to be joining the river. They paddled to shore to check it out.

Sure enough, a short distance upstream from where this little stream joined the river, the water tasted fresh and pure.

We’re saved! shouted Horatio.

Magnifico’s heart sank.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au