48 A Battle of Wills

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Stephen Whiteside

48 A Battle of Wills

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:27 am

48 A Battle of Wills

© Stephen Whiteside 29.11.201

For three days, Horatio and Magnifico languished by the river. They learnt a lot about making paddles, and they also discovered much about swimming, and handling themselves in the water. They also had a lot of fun.

Horatio was very pleased to know that he could handle himself confidently in the water if he was pitched off the raft at some time in the future. Now, though, it was time to move on.

Well, Magnifico, how about it? I think it’s about time we got going again.

Do we really have to, Horatio?

That was the deal.

Yes, I know. But why would you want to leave a place like this? It’s paradise.

That’s what you said about the last place, but this place is better than the last place. Perhaps the next place will be even better than this.

I can’t imagine how it could be.

You can’t imagine it because you haven’t seen it. But don’t you see the pattern? You are always reluctant to join me, but afterwards you are grateful.

I don’t know that grateful’s quite the right word. It usually seems to turn out well enough, but not without our fair share of dramas along the way.

Stale-mate. A silence fell between them.

Well, are you coming?

I’m not sure.

You’re kidding, surely.

No, I’m not.

Another silence.

But what about all the paddles we’ve made? Don’t you want to test them out, and find out how they go on the river?

Magnifico shugged, and started kicking at the ground awkwardly.

You’re not coming, are you?

Another silence. Magnifico refused to catch Horatio’s eye.

Well, if that’s the way you want it.

Horatio walked over to the raft and pulled it from the bushes himself, then down to the water’s edge. Laden as it was with all the paddles, it was hard work, and slow going. Magnifico, however, made no move to assist Horatio.

When the raft was at last resting at the water’s edge, half in the water, half on the muddy bank, Horatio stood up and turned around to face Magnifico.

Would Horatio leave without Magnifico?

Would Magnifico stay without Horatio?

The two stared wordlessly at each other for a long, long time.

At last, Magnifico dropped his eyes and walked down the bank to the water’s edge. He placed his forepaws on the raft, and began to push it out into the water.

Come on. What are you waiting for?
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au