Magnifico Mouse

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Stephen Whiteside

Magnifico Mouse

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:12 am

Magnifico Mouse

© Stephen Whiteside 15.10.2011

Horatio woke. It was dark. He felt comfortable, and warm. He seemed to be surrounded by leaves. Thick, dry leaves above and below.

Ah, you’re awake! Would you like some cheese?

Horatio turned his head again in the direction of the voice.

What time is it?

Oh, it’s way past midnight. You’ve had a good long sleep. You were really beat, weren’t you! I hope you’re feeling a bit better now. Would you like some cheese?

Yes, thank you.

The mouse reached deep into a long green bag and foraged around for a bit. Then he produced a lovely lump of cheese, and handed it to Horatio, who fell upon it voraciously.

Not too fast, now. You haven’t eaten for quite a while. You’ll be sick if you’re not careful.

But Horatio ignored the mouse and wolfed the delicious cheese down as fast as he could.

Hey, careful there. I’m warning you. You’ll be sorry! Trust me, I know. I’ve been there, done that.

It was too late, though. The cheese was all gone.

Any more?

No, that’s quite enough for now. You can have some more later, when you’ve digested this much.

Horatio had half a mind to attack the mouse and seize the cheese. Who did he think he was, giving orders to a rat? The cheek of him! It was not the natural order, and the mouse knew that as well as he did.

Still, he had been friendly up until now, and he didn’t feel quite so desperate any more. Or exhausted. Or even as lonely, though he wasn’t so conscious of that, really. Besides, these were very unusual circumstances, and Horatio did have the presence of mind to appreciate that.

Horatio stood up and shook himself free of the leaves.

Did you place these leaves over me?

Yes. You were in a pretty bad way yesterday morning, so I thought I’d make you as comfortable as possible. I tried to move you a bit closer to the shelter of the embankment here, but you were too heavy. So I did the best I could, and covered you up with some dry leaves. I wanted to keep you as warm as possible. I also wanted to hide you from any creature that might come nosing around. Not that they couldn’t have smelt you, of course, but it was the best I could do. And it seems to have been enough.

I guess I owe you thanks, then.

Oh, that’s OK. Think nothing of it. I’d do the same for anybody.

Thank you for the cheese, too.

You’re welcome.

My name is Horatio. What’s yours?

Magnifico.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Neville Briggs

Re: Magnifico Mouse

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:14 am

Stephen, I think your story has great potential as a childrens book :) You seem to have the special talent for that ( I don't ) Who knows, you could become the next JK Rowling. :)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:48 am

Agree with Neville - you might consider exploring this option Stephen because this is a great kids story.

Cheers

Maureen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks Neville, Maureen. Yes, I am trying to work in that direction.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au