Our Fantastically Terrible Camping Holiday

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Stephen Whiteside

Re: Our Fantastically Terrible Camping Holiday

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:01 pm

On the question of ossification of the brain, there is one aspect I neglected to talk about. This relates to the circulation of the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). In extreme cases it becomes interrupted, leading to dramatic increases in intracranial pressure, which in turn causes blinding headaches. I have heard of cases where the brain has been fractured as the the CSF seeks alternative exit routes. One poor chap arrived at the ED with a veritable fountain spouting out the top of his head. First priority was to grab a basin so the staff didn't slip on the floor. He'd been choppered in from some remote community in east Gippsland. Eventually the surgeons got a shunt in to relieve the pressure, but the poor fellow died about a week later nonetheless. Trouble is, you just about need a jackhammer to get the top end of the shunt into the ventricle sometimes.

All three forms are genetically inherited, but the expression is variable. The first two are autosomal dominant, but the third is sex-linked. So if you stay away from sex you should be OK. Having said all that, though, heat and humidity do seem to make a difference - hence the increased prevalance in Queensland. At greater extremes, though, there is a paradoxical drop-off in prevalence. I think that's why AFL is so popular in FNQ (compared to rugby league).
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Bob Pacey

Re: Our Fantastically Terrible Camping Holiday

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Yeah well I don't reckon any of that stuff you said is true Stephen and you would think that all we think about up here is rugby league well I'll have you know-- that oh hang on Monday night football is on see ya later.

Robert Pacey esq
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!