Don't try this at home

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Heather

Re: Don't try this at home

Post by Heather » Wed May 18, 2011 12:13 pm

Bill I'd have loved to have seen the look on your dad's face. And yours too for that matter! :lol:

Heather

william williams

Post by william williams » Wed May 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Heather I never got a chance to see his face But believe me my B--- stung for a week by the way several months later one night when I had to go (you know where) well I took a lit candle with me to see the way well boys will be boys and curiosity got the better of me so our throne being the long drop veriety I held the candle down the hole to see well methane gas is combustuable and it caused a flash flame and up the hole it flew alas for 8 weeks I could still smell my burnt hair and I had the first crew cut in the district.

Bill the curious old bu-----er

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed May 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Another nutty scientist!

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed May 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Heather are you sure we are not related ? we used to run and jump off the old tank stand and see who could get the furtherest out into the garden bed. Was really good fun until my sister hit her chin with her knee and nearly bit her tongue off.

That tank stand was over six foot high.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed May 18, 2011 6:38 pm

Ouch, nasty Bob. Poor sister. I reckon the shed was at least 6 ft tall. What were we thinking? Then again I've climbed Ayers Rock twice (at 14 and 19) but when I was there a few years ago I thought it really scary. Did the tour around the bottom and it was much more interesting anyway.

Heather :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed May 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Yes Heather we also used to jump OFF things. ( My defence is that defense is the US spelling and the Oxford Dictionary allows it as an alternative 8-)
I appreciate your confidence in my literary skills, Heather. I don't think I have the stamina to produce anything more than a few short essays.

Bob when I was very young I did the tongue biting trick just as you have described. Ouch :(

Bill, I made a water pipe bunger gun. They work extra well. We didn't cause any inconvenience to the throne sitters but got banned anyway. :(
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Frank Daniel

Post by Frank Daniel » Thu May 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Good days with good old shenanigans.
Jimmie was a bit of a war-monger when he was a kid and used to own lots of lead or plastic soldiers, army tanks, jeeps, trucks etc. you name it, he had a great collection, and used to create actual battle fields in Mums garden using bungers for mines, tom-thumbs for minor weaponry etc and used to redesign anything that contained gun powder into something of more realistic value. He'd spend hours setting up his battlefied with trenches, bridges, dugouts, fortresses, rivers and ditches, interconnecting various points with a string wick that had been soaked in lighting kero and strategically placed to take the flame and blow the whole shebang to smithereens within minutes. Then the search was on for the missing vehicles and the dead and wounded were returned to their cardboard box until they were needed again in the next up and coming assault against the Germans.
As far as I know, Jimmie had only heard of the Germans and the Japs as our enemy. Today he is still an authority on the war years and we often turn to him for information. It's easier to be told than to have to read it all.

Joe

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu May 19, 2011 4:44 pm

Frank we used to spend hours setting up the battle field then get behind sheets of iron roofing and shoot them all with air rifles. The winner went on to fight the next opponent. Could have had up to six kids there for an afternoon. The best trick was to attach small pieces of lead to the bottom of the figures so that only a direct hit would kill then.

Fun days.

Bob

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Thu May 26, 2011 11:22 am

I remember very well coming home from school and sitting at the table with my Milo and biscuit,
playing quietly on the back verandah till teatime then after my bath going to bed with a goodnight kiss from me Mum. ;)

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu May 26, 2011 4:16 pm

What no flogging. Ah Dave you have not lived.

Bob