When Our Brain Becomes Obsolete

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Sat May 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Have you ever thought of this? When we have a conversation/s with a friend, or in the case of a public speaker, an audience, it is not physical interaction— it is at least two brains, or in the case of an audience of hundred with a speaker, a hundred and one brains making contact with each other; provided the brains, through ears, are receptive to what’s being said. Well, sadly for humans, the biological brain will become obsolete, this century.

An American Singularity scientist, Raymond Kurzweil, estimates, by the year 2045, the quantity of artificial intelligence created, (computers) will be about a billion times the sum of all the human intelligence that exists today. This will be the era, or maybe before, when computers solve problems by themselves (reasoning) and communicate with each other. This will be the time of the electronic revolution when human existence becomes irrelevant.

A time in the future when on some specific day an A4 sheet of paper will shoot out of printers all over the world stating:

‘You’re Fired! You have lost my confidence. I am leaving your employment.’

I imagine, a final notation, will go something like this.

Regards,
HP 200,134,201,017 ©

Singularity, in scientific terms: n: The moment when technological change becomes so rapid and profound, it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history.

John Macleod

Neville Briggs

Re: When Our Brain Becomes Obsolete

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun May 08, 2011 2:25 pm

G'day John, we used to be told that by the year 2001 the world would be transformed by superior technology and space travel. Instead the world is transformed by a bunch of determined operatives, intent on remaking the world into the image of their devotion.

I won't be here to see but I remain a skeptic when it comes to prophesies of a marvellous technological future .

In any case I think my brain is already redundant.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Mon May 09, 2011 3:22 pm

All too true Neville.

The facts in my yarn were obtained from TIME magazine 21/02/2011.
I'm the same as you.

I'll be long gone.

John

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue May 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Just a small question. Who did the picture of the black cockatoo ?
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue May 10, 2011 6:56 pm

My Mum often tells us the story of her Dad who was Editor on a local paper and at her 21st he made a speech as Dads do which would have been during the war years just before the end of the war. The words he said she has never forgotten....He told her in her lifetime she would see men walk on the moon and she would live in a cashless society and that computers would eventually take over the jobs that men do, and of course all of those predictions have come to pass..

How is that for forward thinking???

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 pm

G'day Neville.

The painting. Yes well it's pretty good isn't it.

The artist is an Aboriginal friend of mine: Ray Ford, he lives in Nowra. (Home of the blackCockatoo)

Coomadichee

I can send you some photo's of his paintings if you like.

Or I could get him to paint you something. You name it he'll paint it.

Regards,

John
Last edited by Jasper Brush on Tue May 10, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Tue May 10, 2011 9:12 pm

G'day Maureen.

Well, your grandfather was a forward thinker.

I think the age of the computer is going to happen.

Google, 'singularity' and read all about it.

I notice your still churning them out. :D

Regards,

John

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Wed May 11, 2011 7:07 am

...well I wish computers would start doing some of my work...they can start by digging a trench from the elevated tank to the chlorine hut, then they can climb the tower and run a cable down the leg and into the hut and hook it up to itself so it can do it's bloody job!... ;)
Ross

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Wed May 11, 2011 2:40 pm

G'day, Ross. Hows the temperature up North,? Still wearing shorts?

Mate, if you are around when the computers take over. A couple of robots will tap on your front door and get you to dig your own hole.

John