CONTENTMENT

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

CONTENTMENT

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:51 pm

not sure if this is really a yarn because girls yarns are different to blokes yarns - so this perhaps might be more along the lines of secret women's business, but since I am telling you mob it obviously isn't a secret is it? :lol:

CONTENT

As I lay curled snail like beneath the warm woollen blankets with one of the dogs nestled in the crook of my legs gathering what warmth she can, I hear the magpies warbling outside my window. It is cold, and I should get up but know that now I don’t have too. I can stay here all day should I choose. Warm, cosy, lazy. No company desk awaits my presence anymore. No train expects me to board with other commuters. My days have taken on a more leisurely pace – the roses that beckon are now smelt and admired. The weeds that are spotted are whisked away immediately before their rampant growth spoils the pristine garden beds. Those jobs that could be put off till tomorrow are done today – for there is nothing else now pressing on my time. Life feels good.

There are days where I indulge myself with a feast of words. Devouring them voraciously, unable to refuse a single crumb, all else forgotten in a gluttony of self gratification. Even the dog’s wistful looks or dropping of tennis balls at my feet refuse to tempt me from my literary smorgasbord.

Other days are spent in a flurry of activity, cleaning and washing till everything sparkles like new at least for a few hours until a fresh layer of dust settles, dulling the shine – and my enthusiasm. Dust and dirt and drought are synonymous with this country. Things rarely get to the stage where one can write in the dust – but having said that it is amazing how quickly, left unattended, that stage can be attained.

But necessity calls – try as I might the sounds of everyday life are invading my musings, and years of parental discipline still kick in even at the age I have achieved. Slothfulness has never been encouraged or tolerated, and even though there are none to answer too old habits die hard.

There are dogs to feed,things to do, and today new seedlings to be placed into the warmed earth beneath the sheltering roof of the greenhouse. A rampant hedge awaits a barber wielding big shears to tame its unruly locks – there is only a week between a good haircut and a bad one and my hedge is very forgiving. It stretches in golden opulence along the front boundary, usually neat and restrained like a merchant banker, but occasionally leaping forth in excitement and a flurry of new growth quite unrestrained. Order and dignity must be restored.

At the bottom of the garden the river rolls by turgid and brown, still somewhat menacing after the floods, an adversary not to be trifled with. How quickly one forgets. For over thirty years it just meandered along, content within its own green grassy banks. On occasions it rose a little just to see what was going on around it, poked a few tentative fingers here and there in exploration, but lost interest pretty quickly and returned to its musings, but this year it broke forth with a hiss and a roar like a rampaging Viking set on destruction and pillage. It destroyed everything for miles around, raped and ransacked the land with no quarter given. Lives and homes were lost, and the tears of the nation added to the watery miasma that swirled and ebbed through the cities and towns. Then like a locust plague moved on leaving behind a trail of brown mud, broken homes, and shattered dreams. Now it meanders along in its own watercourse, as if nothing at all had upset it, though its banks are no longer green but brown, and festooned with broken limbs of trees and bedecked with miscellaneous treasures’ that hold no worth any more.

All the myriad things that make up our lives are infinitesimal when taken over all. Were we able to divorce ourselves from the land that holds us and fly like an eagle soaring high above on thermals we would see how small our lives really are. The problems and worries that to us appear huge and insurmountable are in reality taken worldwide in complete proportion. They do say God never gives us more than we can handle. We have our hands full at the moment, but progress is being made.

For today I can handle what I must – tomorrow is not here yet, so no sense in wondering or worrying about it. Life is good. The roses are in bloom, the magpies are carolling in the garden and the sun is shining. I have two dogs, family and friends who love me, and a richness of life that has nothing to do with money in the bank. It is a richness that money cannot buy – and I am content.

Maureen Clifford © 04/11
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

william williams

Re: CONTENTMENT

Post by william williams » Sun May 01, 2011 10:18 am

I enjoyed it Maureen The wistfull rambling of an old woman :o Don't hit me mummy I'll be a good boy and go in the corner with Bob :lol: :roll:

Bill the old B

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun May 01, 2011 10:30 am

Gonna be in there on your own Bill. I got out a while ago and been saying all the right things since then so do not expect to be in there for a while.

Al what's

Got up this morning at 4.30 am and showered and dressed for golf. Wished my daughter in law happy mothers day and the buggers have changed it to next week !!

Yeah I know what year it is just don't ask.

AAAAAAAAHHHH
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun May 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the read Maureen, especially your description of the river's doings. Excellent stuff.

Heather :)

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed May 04, 2011 9:06 am

Glad you like my river Heather - and always nice to meet a bloke with a modicum of sense Bob,

Thanks Bill...but Mate I will never catch up to you in the age Department, try as I might :lol: :lol:

Wistful ramblings of an old woman indeed...Humpph I am only as old as my teeth - no hang on that's a lie only got them a few years back. :D You like them?

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

william williams

Post by william williams » Wed May 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Well Maureen there are luck escapes

I took her home ‘twas a wonderful picture show. Casablanca I think it was called
When we got to her place I was invited in (auw she a Beauty I thought)
And then she asked me to have a look at her painting in the bed room I was nearly beside my self
It was while I was there she stated for me to stay there while she made herself comfortable and me being a gentleman I obliged.
It was then that she took her wig of leaving her near bald fair enough I thought
She has had Chemo Therapy poor devil next she took out her false teeth, well to much sugar can cause those sort of things fair enough I thought but when she placed her glass eye in a glass it was then that I slowly began to have second thoughts but low and behold she used that make up remover which gave her a creased old age wrinkle appearance she turned her back to me and it was then that I beat a hasty retreat to the doorway to escape and that was when I was hit in the back by a thrown much padded bra.

Bill the old battler

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed May 04, 2011 4:25 pm

and your point is?????? :lol:

william williams

Post by william williams » Wed May 04, 2011 4:48 pm

:roll: :twisted: you aint that old :oops: is you :shock: