Encounter of a different kind

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:45 pm

This memoire received a commended place in a short story comp last year.

I’m so damn bored, it’s like a trance, as if I am moving, but not getting

anywhere.This expanse just does not seem to end. On the left, bush as far as one can

see, on the right, again, bush as far as one can see, looking ahead, through the

windscreen of my truck, as it continues humming its melodious, monotonous tune, the

black line of bitumen accentuated with white painted ‘brush’ strokes, narrows then

disappears into the distant horizon, which leaves me wondering if the bloody thing is

actually reachable.

Beside me, my young, and, fairly new-to-the-game offsider, appears to be caught in

the same trance, as we continue to gaze into nothing. The occasional glance at each

other has been the only recognition we both exist in this cage of a cabin.

Simultaneously we squint and slightly lurch forward,

‘What is it?’ he says.

‘Don’t know,’ I say.

In this midday heat and brightness, distorted by the dancing heatwaves, a black spot

is visible in the distance and stands out like a single blob on an artist’s vivid white

canvas. Drawing closer we see it is a wild pig, a piglet in fact, whose life ended

quickly with the wrong timing to cross a highway. I thought ‘How unlucky, there’s

probably one vehicle maybe every half hour or so, and this little buggar cops it.’

‘Can I move it?’ my offsider says excitedly ‘I haven’t seen a feral pig up close.’

‘Sure,’ I said.

I stopped the truck in the middle of the road about three metres from the body. There

hasn’t been any vehicles for quite some time, so, I figured, this piglet was hit

by another truck some distance in front of us, also, there was no visible debris from a

car, and, although it is a ‘piglet’ it’s still quite big enough to do considerable damage

to an average car, I suggested he take a pair of pliers and clamp on one of the young

piglets ears to drag it from the road because of diseases these feral animals could

carry.

Like a happy child he sauntered up to the pig, grabbed hold, then, when lifting its

head slightly, I noticed that blood was still flowing from its wounds, and the body was

very flexible with no signs of rigor mortis yet, and as he started dragging the pig from

the road, he looked up at me with a huge ‘Cheshire cat’ like grin.

He proudly returned, bounded up into the truck, and once again we were on the move,

‘Wow! my first wild pig, that was awesome’.

‘I’m happy for you, but, did you happen to notice how very, very, fresh the body was,

and, did you think of where its mum was’

He turned a lighter shade of white when obviously thinking of what might have

happened, if the mother was still close by and attacked him, as wild pigs have been

known to do. He then looked into my eyes and said ‘you bastard’

I laughed……….we both laughed for hours.

David J Delaney

Heather

Re: Encounter of a different kind

Post by Heather » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Enjoyed it second time around Dave.

Heather :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Can not be hey Dave like me I'll bet you seen your mother and father get married.

Good one mate

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Sun May 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Thank you Heather & Bob, eh! Bob I might not have 'watched' them get married, but I was a few months there. :shock: